Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GE 'fridge ls no longer cool...

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Should I just go ahead and invest in a new control board? The reason I'm pointed in that direction is that the unit started failing about a week after a power failure. This has happened before. And you, Dan O. steered me in the right direction to get a board. And I still sing your praises about that! I'm expecting that I may have to do that again....

Dan O. is offline Deity
    Thanks

Red face

I do not suggest you replace anything until you have a definite reason to think it is the problem, not just a guess. Until we know exactly what is going on (eg. fans running, compressor running, frost pattern on the evaporator, etc.) *at the time of failure* it would be premature for us to suggest what the possible cause is, let alone one of the most expensive parts of the appliance.

If you want to take the chance, that will be up to you to decide. Sorry.

JMO

Dan O.

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Hi, Dan O. The fans are going, as is the compressor. I just now checked the freezer section, and upon opening the door I see the temp is around 32*, but there is a layer of frost on the back wall about 1/4" thick. I agree with you. Throwing parts (and money) is just not a good plan. Is the back panel where the freezer coils are? I see some panel screws. I can yank them out and check back there....

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Yeow! Now THAT is a LOT of ice and frost!! Okay, so the coils are severely frosted up. The humidity around here is high, so I'm guessing that's what caused the frosting. I plan to shut the fridge down, leave the doors open and allow it all to melt and clear itself. Where do I go after that? (Gees!! Now THERE'S an opening!)
    It's a few minutes later...I have a fan blowing in the freezer section and the first to leave was the frost. The frost was across most of the top section of the coils and there's hard ice on the lower section maybe the lower two or three inches.
    After re-reading the instructions you posted, Dan O., I understand more clearly. Based on that it could be either the defrost timer, the temperature limiter or the heating coil itself. Is this correct? Also, how might I be able to check these out? I have a vom if that's any help....
    Last edited by mrcaptainbob; 07-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Dan O. is offline Deity
    Thanks
    I plan to shut the fridge down, leave the doors open and allow it all to melt and clear itself. Where do I go after that?
    The problem is suppose to be checked *while the condition is present* not after you've altered it's condition like by defrosting it, unplugging it for any length of time, etc.

Based on that it could be either the defrost timer, the temperature limiter or the heating coil itself. Is this correct?
    Yes, although a defrost thermostat on GE's electronically controlled models doesn't serve that exact purpose, its failure could cause a defrosting problem as well.

how might I be able to check these out?
    At link to that information was provided at the end of the last link I provided. It was titled "HOW DOES A FROST FREE REFRIGERATOR'S DEFROST SYSTEN WORK?

That page goes into actual component testing. The first link deals with diagnosis.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Ah....my fault. typical of me. Jumping the gun and not reading it through. Thanks again for keeping me on the right path, Dan O.

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Unexpected company prevented any further investigation, but did find that the heater is okay. It reads 24 ohms. So it's now on to checking the timer and temperature limiter.

Dan O. is offline Deity
    Thanks
    You can try checking the limit thermostat. If open when cold enough where it should be closed, it is defective but it is not what is used to turn off the heaters during the normal defrost process. That is done my the electronic control, it getting a reading from the thermistor on the evaporator. That thermostat's purpose is just to shut the heaters down if the control power them for too long, before the fridge interior melts.

LINK > GE GSS25JFMCWW Temperature Thermistor

You can find the thermistor's resistance values and some diagnostic procedures in the image at this link:

LINK > GE Electronically Controlled Refrigerator Diagnostic Chart

There is also no "timer" on GE electronically controlled models. That job is performed by the electronic control.

LINK > GE GSS25JFMCWW 'Mother' Board

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Thanks, Dan O. The unit has been unplugged for a couple of days now. And I do have about a many panels off in that freezer as is possible without a cutting torch! Could not find a timer ANYwhere on that unit, leading me to think it must be the kind that's a part of the motherboard. And when I checked in today, I find your note confirming as much. The heater appears good. The limiter registers zero ohms. Which is what I would expect in this condition. (I checked by using pins J5 and J4.) So it's now on to ordering a motherboard.
    Thank you so much for your help, Dan O.

Thanks

GE 'fridge...

Well, the new motherboard is in. Fortunately I found one about 18 miles from the house. Hopefully the unit will be functioning for the visitors from Texas tomorrow!
    Again...thank you VERY much, Dan O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information