Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator has hot compressor

jc95 is offline New Member
    Thanks

Refrigerator has hot compressor

New to this site and it is very well done!

The refrigerator in question is a Whirlpool Gold side x side model
    ED25LFXGN00 manufactured in July 1999 and purchased Jan. 2000.

Day 1: Leaving and noticed freezer veggies soft as I got ice that was soft. Bumped up thermostat setting and it kicked on. Temps fine until morning...freezer 36F and fridge 45F

Day 2: Looked into the issue some more. Cleaned condenser coils (moderately dusty) and all ran fine. Plugged in and compressor and all lights and fans work. Thermostat set at mediium setting. 4 hours later unit is still running and freezer at -15F and fridge at 28F....backed thermostat down.

Day 3: temps back up and after 2 hours unit still not running even with thermostat bump up but lights are on. Pulled freezer back and noted coils are not frosted over...only slightly at the bottom. Plugged unit back in and everything now runs. Unit runs 3 hours...freezer -05F and now the fridge steady at 45F...pulled everything and unplugged

Note: I have not noticed any clicking or other issues. All was well until Day 1. THE COMPRESSOR IS HOT TO TOUCH...hot enough I can't keep my hand on it for more that 5 secs. Air is moving into the fridge but it seems warm and low flow even with freezer being below 0F

Oh ye great ones of appliance repair, what do your think? I keep thinking I have narrowed it down and I keep getting curve balls.

Thanks and take care (sorry so lengthy),
    JC

HayZee518 is offline Deity
    Thanks
    fridge is ten years old. oil in the compressor - freon line may be breaking down. purpose of oil is to lube the motor bearings. it normally travels with the freon. if it ain't lubricating the bearings you might have one breaking down inside the compressor causing the heat. check the amperage of the running unit with an amprobe. running amps and LRA should be stamped on compressor nameplate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HayZee518 For This Useful Post:

jc95 (01-05-2010)

Dan O. is offline Deity
    Thanks

Cool Refrigeration system problem?

Pulled freezer back and noted coils are not frosted over...only slightly at the bottom.
    The evaporator (cooling) coils should frost evenly across its whole surface (see the following link). Partial frosting of the evaporator coil usually indicates a refrigeration system problem.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

All was well until Day 1. THE COMPRESSOR IS HOT TO TOUCH...hot enough I can't keep my hand on it for more that 5 secs.
    If the compressor overheated it could have contaminated the refrigeration system. A compressor overheating is usually caused by it trying to start up but failing, over and over again. That is usually accompanied by clicking sounds and/or lights on the same electrical circuit dimming each time it tried.

You might need to call in a professional to see if it can be repaired.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan O. For This Useful Post:

jc95 (01-05-2010)

Thanks

What next?

Thanks for the replies.

After reading posts of this and other sites I had reluctantly come to that conclusion also...however, your replies with their expert opinions are what I was after and are much appreciated.

So, I have been told by a few that a compressor replacement is around +/- $500. This being the case, the fridge is 10 years old and cost $850 new. Am I correct in assuming that there is no sense in repairing it (and what's next with it)? I talked with a service shop today that told me not to bother repairing the unit and had come to the same compressor conclusion you guys did (in a friendly way said it was a waste of my money for him to come and tell me what you guys already did...and no, he does not retail anything).

I am interested in your opinions and also your feelings on what brands you prefer. I have noticed that several brands are now owned by just a few companies. Anyone of them stand out as really good or bad?

Thank you and take care,
    JC

Thanks
    Hay Zee 518,

At what points do I test? I think it know but want to be sure...just curious as it seems this problem is beyond my intervention ability.

Thanks, JC

Dan O. is offline Deity
    Thanks

Red face

I have been told by a few that a compressor replacement is around +/- $500. This being the case, the fridge is 10 years old and cost $850 new. Am I correct in assuming that there is no sense in repairing it?
    IF the compressor is the problem, no it would not usually be worthwhile to have repaired in a 10-year old refrigerator.

I have noticed that several brands are now owned by just a few companies. Anyone of them stand out as really good or bad?
    I personally stay away from GE products. Whirlpool generally has pretty decent products across the line.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Thanks

Thanks for the help

Thanks Dan for the information. What don't you like about GE products? By the way, out of curiosity I plugged the frige back in today and everything came right up but the compressor (which was running) was too hot to touch within 10 minutes.

JC

Thanks

GE issues...

A great indicator of appliances with problems is to scroll through this forum and check the thread headers. There's a reason it's mentioned on a repair forum.

paul52446m is offline Journeyman
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
    New to this site and it is very well done!

The refrigerator in question is a Whirlpool Gold side x side model
    ED25LFXGN00 manufactured in July 1999 and purchased Jan. 2000.

Day 1: Leaving and noticed freezer veggies soft as I got ice that was soft. Bumped up thermostat setting and it kicked on. Temps fine until morning...freezer 36F and fridge 45F

Day 2: Looked into the issue some more. Cleaned condenser coils (moderately dusty) and all ran fine. Plugged in and compressor and all lights and fans work. Thermostat set at mediium setting. 4 hours later unit is still running and freezer at -15F and fridge at 28F....backed thermostat down.

Day 3: temps back up and after 2 hours unit still not running even with thermostat bump up but lights are on. Pulled freezer back and noted coils are not frosted over...only slightly at the bottom. Plugged unit back in and everything now runs. Unit runs 3 hours...freezer -05F and now the fridge steady at 45F...pulled everything and unplugged

Note: I have not noticed any clicking or other issues. All was well until Day 1. THE COMPRESSOR IS HOT TO TOUCH...hot enough I can't keep my hand on it for more that 5 secs. Air is moving into the fridge but it seems warm and low flow even with freezer being below 0F

Oh ye great ones of appliance repair, what do your think? I keep thinking I have narrowed it down and I keep getting curve balls.

Thanks and take care (sorry so lengthy),
    JC
    Have you had a serviceman check it out as yet? It could be low on gas. The gas coming back in the suction line is what cools the compressor.
    There might not be anything wrong with the compressor. Later Paul

HayZee518 is offline Deity
    Thanks
    Paul, why are servicemen so quick in saying the unit is "low on gas?" When it left the factory it was charged according to their engineering specs. Now, ten years down the line it is automatically "low on gas." IT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM! If nobody's messed with it, the freon just don't leak out unless someone buggered up a silver solder joint or installed a tap a valve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information