PDA

View Full Version : Installing light fixtures to cement ceiling

nigel
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to install a couple light fixtures in my condo, which has cement ceilings, covered with stucco. One of the fixtures contains 8 screws, and I really am looking for other alternatives to get the fixtures up, instead of screwing in a total of 10 screws into the Ceiling. The screws wont be very load bearing, so perhaps an adhesive of some sorts?

Thanks,

HayZee518
06-14-2007, 05:02 AM
could you expand on the type of fixtures? are they long flourescent type? granted, some of the new adhesives on the market are a godsend, I still can't fathom holding up a fixture on your concrete ceiling. at the most stucco over concrete must have a hollow space above it so the use of toggle bolts comes to mind.

nigel
06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Both of the fixtures are the halogen bulb type, but the one I am most concerned about is this one:

www(dot)ikea(dot)com/ca/en/catalog/products/90083717

It doesnt even come with screws, but it looks like it needs a #8. I guess the adhesives wont work?

HayZee518
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I looked at those fixtures. halogens are not heavy but awkward. I would rely on a #10 screw in a hollow wall anchor or if you could insert a toggle bolt I would feel much safer. the little circle devices between fixtures I would say adhesive would work but you'd have to have some real sticky stuff. what's that large circle thing?

nigel
06-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Thats just the fixture part. So I guess its inevitable that I drill some holes then eh? Ah well!

Thanks for all your help.

HayZee518
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I would feel much better and safer using screws of some type. I'd hate to advise you to use adhesive and have the whole shebang come flying down some day