PDA

View Full Version : Interior gaps around replacement windows, Pic & questions

klmilligan
01-17-2008, 04:18 AM
My home has vinyl replacement windows that were put in before I bought the house. It looks like a poorly done DIY job. There are gaps between the window and the framing on all three sides (top & sides). There are various insulating products shoved in the gaps.

I have asked around trying to find the best solution for fixing this problem. Number one, it appears to not be properly insulated allowing air/sound to leak through (not horrible) and it looks terrible. I received some feedback from various sources. However, they had not seen the problem first hand, so I don't know what is the best solution.

Suggestion #1: Purchasing quarter round(?) molding and just cover it up. I didn't like this solution because again it didn't look right and I also have blinds on just about every window and it messed with mounting the blinds.

Suggestion #2: Caulking the gaps. I tried caulking around some of the windows, but it still didn't give it a nice finished look.

Suggestion #3: Move the molding.

I would really like to get feedback on what the best solution is and if it is truly #3, then how/what I need to do to accomplish this properly. I included a picture of the gap on one of the windows. I do have a few double windows with a 1.5 inch dividing trim/mold.

Thanks a bunch

HayZee518
01-17-2008, 06:06 AM
looks like a poorly made window casing. the window "stop" molding could be made a bit thicker all around -or- get new windows. what holds the window panes up? is there a spring inside the jamb? window weights? friction springs?

klmilligan
01-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I would venture a guess that they are friction springs. They just slide up or down and stay where I leave them.

Thanks

HayZee518
01-19-2008, 05:39 AM
ok, then make the stop molding a bit thicker.

klmilligan
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I want to make sure I thank you for your help. I could use a little more:) I've tried to find a diagram to show me exactly what the stop molding is. Is it the framing around the window (inside) or the molding that is tacked onto the sheetrock (decorative part).

klmilligan
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Also, does this mean I need to take the window out and in a sense "start over"?

HayZee518
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
the "window stop" is all the moulding that goes around the inside of the sash and contacts the window itself. the window slides in a track and the window stop is this moulding. the stuff outside of the window is the casement moulding.