View Full Version : Interior gaps around replacement windows, Pic & questions

01-17-2008, 04:18 AM
My home has vinyl replacement windows that were put in before I bought the house. It looks like a poorly done DIY job. There are gaps between the window and the framing on all three sides (top & sides). There are various insulating products shoved in the gaps.

I have asked around trying to find the best solution for fixing this problem. Number one, it appears to not be properly insulated allowing air/sound to leak through (not horrible) and it looks terrible. I received some feedback from various sources. However, they had not seen the problem first hand, so I don't know what is the best solution.

Suggestion #1: Purchasing quarter round(?) molding and just cover it up. I didn't like this solution because again it didn't look right and I also have blinds on just about every window and it messed with mounting the blinds.

Suggestion #2: Caulking the gaps. I tried caulking around some of the windows, but it still didn't give it a nice finished look.

Suggestion #3: Move the molding.

I would really like to get feedback on what the best solution is and if it is truly #3, then how/what I need to do to accomplish this properly. I included a picture of the gap on one of the windows. I do have a few double windows with a 1.5 inch dividing trim/mold.

Thanks a bunch

01-17-2008, 06:06 AM
looks like a poorly made window casing. the window "stop" molding could be made a bit thicker all around -or- get new windows. what holds the window panes up? is there a spring inside the jamb? window weights? friction springs?

01-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I would venture a guess that they are friction springs. They just slide up or down and stay where I leave them.


01-19-2008, 05:39 AM
ok, then make the stop molding a bit thicker.

01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I want to make sure I thank you for your help. I could use a little more:) I've tried to find a diagram to show me exactly what the stop molding is. Is it the framing around the window (inside) or the molding that is tacked onto the sheetrock (decorative part).

01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Also, does this mean I need to take the window out and in a sense "start over"?

01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
the "window stop" is all the moulding that goes around the inside of the sash and contacts the window itself. the window slides in a track and the window stop is this moulding. the stuff outside of the window is the casement moulding.