Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what to do with wire after removing wall?

Colonel is offline New Member
    Thanks
    ahhh...See its the little things I am ignorant on.I know exactly what youre talking about though...just not enough experience to know before hand lol.

Does it have to be a minimum of 6" for a staple?
    How hard is it to remove these boxes after nailed? I may have to jump one back a joist to be able to route the wire where it can be stapled and still long enough to safely reach the box.

and great tip about marking the boxes!

Once again I thank you guys!!!

HayZee518 is offline Deity
    Thanks
    whenever I had a rough inspection on a new house, the inspector always picked up on that stapling near a box. so I asked him what is the rule of thumb? he said between 6-8 inches is plenty, but not beyond - say 9 inches. that's too much! they make things that are nailed in the studs that make bundled wires easier to fasten within the 8 inches of the box. its a yoke made of plastic that holds wires running down a stud AND approx mid-stud. the book says to staple at the approx center of a stud. those nail on boxes can be removed with a small prybar between the box and the stud without destroying the box. its easier doing it in warm weather then the winter where everything becomes brittle.

Thanks
    Whats your opinion on adding some blocking, say a 2x, that runs from joist to joist and stapling to it? I would run it parallel to the wire and staple into the side of it,

Thanks
    that's up to you - I mean your job isn't gonna be inspected - so its your call. I was just telling you what is expected IF the job is ever inspected by an authority.

Thanks
    I understand, but if i were to add blocking between the joist and staple to the block...would it pass if it were getting inspected?

What i would like to avoid is having to pull the wire from the drilled chasers in the joist and running the wire below the joist in order to have it stapled to a joist.

I will do what ever I need to do to make it pass if it is ever needed..whether it is up to me or the authority. Im not looking for any short cuts, just alternatives

pushkins is online now General Contractor
    Thanks
    Yes adding blocking and stapling to the blocking within 6-8" of the box will pass inspection.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Thanks
    stapling to the face of the joist is no problem IF there is no chance of hitting the cable. the accepted practice is to install a nailer, like a piece of furring strip to the joist, then stapling the wire to the nailer. at least there is some support for the cable. drilling through the approx center of a joist is also permitted. hole diameter is about 5/8" or 3/4"

Thanks
    Thanks a million to both of you for your advice and time to help people on these forums out!!

You will be seeing more of me around, unfortunately every ceiling tile I drop has a nightmare hidden behind it

I am starting to wonder if there was ever any "legal" work done to anything in this house...

see you soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information