Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet over concrete in basement

DKAudio is offline Journeyman
    Thanks

Carpet over concrete in basement

I want to put carpet over the concrete in the basement. I don't think mosture is a big issue down there but still an concerned. The house was built in 1954 and I assume the basement was done in the 70s (judging by the style). I pulled up the old green carpet and noticed a musty smell. The concrete beneath is green and comes up with a mop and water. I checked all my local stores and none of them carry a vapor barrier pading. Not sure what to do at this point. I taped a piece of plastic down to see if mosture builds up underneath. How long should I leave it?

I already have the carpet, it is a normal living room type plush. Did not buy any padding yet. Did see DryLock at Home Depot but am not sure if the exsisting paint will limit its performance.

Suggestions?

HayZee518 is offline Deity
    Thanks
    the untouched surface of concrete is like a sponge and is porous like a sponge. It is a magnet towards moisture. when dry or appears dry, it dusts up, the limestone leeches to the surface. If it's laid directly on the dirt or sand it will absorb ground water and even if it appears dry it is really wet. I would put several coats of a good silicone sealer on raw concrete before I put anything else down on it i.e. a carpet pad and carpet.

Thanks
    That's what I was thinking. When I was at home depot I asked if they had a roll on waterproofer. Checked in flooring and paints and no one had a clue what I was talking about...frustrating.

Anyways do you know a brand and name that would work and be available at Home Depot?

Would the green paint (or whatever it is) effect it from doing its job or could I just roll the silicone waterproofer on top of that?

Thanks

Thanks
    try using a cup wheel on a small grinder and get some of the paint off. I looked for concrete sealers and found two places. Manufactured by the Behr Co - Low Luster Sealer - available at Home Depot and Super Seal lsepoxies, Rowlett TX. The super seal they said is low toxicity water soluble during application.

tom_matthews is offline Handyman
    Thanks
    There are also plywood subfloor systems with a plastic underlayment layer on the panels. I've layed such a subfloor on concrete - it was from a company called dri-core and it turned out very nice, dry, comfortable and warm, once carpet was installed on top. the plastic layer insulates and blocks moisture. the subfloor panels just interlock with T&G joints. The drawback of course is the high cost of the subfloor material and the shipping.

Thanks
    Yeah, I don't have much to spend at all.

Yesterday I went down there and there were 3 puddles about 2-3 sq ft in seperate locations. The weird part was it didn't look like normal concrete seapage(sp?) the water was around 1/8" thick, I mean they really were puddles. Don't know what to think, the rest of the room was completely dry. This is the first water I have seen since I pulled up the old carpet.

At this point I am just going to try grinding the rest of the green paint off and using a Drylock type paint.

tom_matthews is offline Handyman
    Thanks
    even with the insulated subfloor, you would still need to seal the concrete. but standing water in puddles? yeah, that's a lot of moisture. sounds like a leak from somewhere.

Thanks
    I have no idea what to think about it. The area right next to the puddles are dry. It looks like someone spilled water there or something but no one has been down there. I never felt wetness on the old carpet.

Thanks
    Tried a 4.5" grinder with a low grit sanding wheel, masonry grinding wheel, cup wheel, etc. Nothing worked that good. The grinding wheel worked but was horribly messy (clouded the whole room instantly) and would take a couple full days of work to finish.

No water since last time and it has been raining a lot.

Bought a basement and masonry waterproofer at Home Depot by Behr. Says for walls subject to hydrostratic pressure. Ideal for above or below grade basement walls...foundations...etc

Anyways to get the green stuff off could I use a chemical stripper or something and then clean the floor with Behr concrete cleaner and degreaser (says I should use before the waterproofing paint anyways). If so what kind?

Thanks

Thanks
    try this site ls epoxies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information