Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HVAC NIghtmare

Freezing is offline Handyman
    Thanks
    Went out today and it was doing it's old routine; call for heat, 5-8 second delay until inducer motor starts running, then "click click" (coming from smart valve area) that simply repeated this two-click cycle until I cut power at the breaker.

Unhooked "MV" (brown wire) at the control board, switched power on at breaker and got one only one click and it never clicked again. What occurred: removed MV wire, power on at breaker (preexisting call for heat), 5-8 seconds inducer motor, few seconds later "click" (one time) and nothing follows except continuous running of the inducer motor.

Guessing, but the click I am hearing is a gas valve inside the smartvalve?

I have a picture of the igniter. I thought I observed a glowing, but it looks like spark ignite system, so I am all confused.

Having trouble during the day seeing of the igniter is glowing or not. I think it is
    Last edited by Freezing; 10-27-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I made a video of what it is doing that I have posted on youtube, probably better than what I can describe. It has been turned off all day and when I first went out to look at it tonight it did glow and I had a small flame which eventually just went out. Later all it did was the two click deal that I mentioned before. Finally, all it did was "click" one time, but not much more than that.

If "prove" means it has the pilot light on and is ready for gas to the 3 burners, then it does seem stuck at this "proving" and it gives up as it cannot detect a flame.

The video might take a few minutes for youtube to process it. youtube.com/watch?v=74a3DxlqOhQ
    Last edited by Freezing; 10-28-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Round 10

Every time this thing "clicks" it is letting out a small amount of gas through the pilot. I verified this by holding a lighter to the end of the pilot tube, whcih results in a brief flame.

Like last night-when I first started messing with it, the pilot did light and burn for a minute (approx) and then it went out, but getting this minute long pilot burn to repeat can only be done by going back the next day-like today.

The valve never does release gas to the 3 burners. When the pilot was burning I saw the flame rod was glowing orange along with the burning pilot light (about one inch). Is it a possibility the flame rod is not "proving" that the pilot is burning so the Smartvalve will not release gas to the burners? Can I check this by bypassing the flame rod to ground by grounding the flame rod wire out?

Took out the igniter and cleaned with a 3M pad.

Should I buy an igniter first or control board?

Wiggled the wires around on the smartvalve gently but could not determine if there was a short, if I were to guess I would say not from the way it acted; no matter what I did with the wires/plug-ins it acted the same way.
    Last edited by Freezing; 10-28-2010 at 08:32 PM.

paul52446m is offline Journeyman
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezing View Post
    Round 10

Every time this thing "clicks" it is letting out a small amount of gas through the pilot. I verified this by holding a lighter to the end of the pilot tube, whcih results in a brief flame.

Like last night-when I first started messing with it, the pilot did light and burn for a minute (approx) and then it went out, but getting this minute long pilot burn to repeat can only be done by going back the next day-like today.

The valve never does release gas to the 3 burners. When the pilot was burning I saw the flame rod was glowing orange along with the burning pilot light (about one inch). Is it a possibility the flame rod is not "proving" that the pilot is burning so the Smartvalve will not release gas to the burners? Can I check this by bypassing the flame rod to ground by grounding the flame rod wire out?

Took out the igniter and cleaned with a 3M pad.

Should I buy an igniter first or control board?

Wiggled the wires around on the smartvalve gently but could not determine if there was a short, if I were to guess I would say not from the way it acted; no matter what I did with the wires/plug-ins it acted the same way.
    This unit did not have a smart valve on it before , did it ?. You say this unit now has a glow bar and a flame rod? I did not see a glow bar in your pic..
    If this unit did not have a smart valve before, why did you use one now?
    I have never seen a smart valve and glow bar used on a outdoor unit, they don't work in the wind. Did this pilot assembly come with this smart valve?
    later paul

Thanks
    Part number is Q3400 for the igniter. The flame rod's job is to sense heat from the pilot light and prove for the Smartvalve it is ready for gas to the burners-is this right?

Always had a Smartvalve.

It is as originally engiennered. The diagrams all match up. It is an early 90's Goodman

I think I will try replacing the igniter. Gently messing with the flamerod it was kinda lose inside the ceramic housing...maybe a short.

Some are calling this and "HSI."

paul52446m is offline Journeyman
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezing View Post
    Part number is Q3400 for the igniter. The flame rod's job is to sense heat from the pilot light and prove for the Smartvalve it is ready for gas to the burners-is this right?

Always had a Smartvalve.

It is as originally engiennered. The diagrams all match up. It is an early 90's Goodman

I think I will try replacing the igniter. Gently messing with the flamerod it was kinda lose inside the ceramic housing...maybe a short.

Some are calling this and "HSI."
    I think we covered this before but the flame rod and pilot do not work on sensing heat The flame is producing a milliamp power that goes back to the smart valve to prove flame. It is important that you have a clean properly
    adjusted pilot The inter blue flame of the pilot has to go from the pilot head to the flame rod to make this electric circuit If the flame lifts off the pilot burner head you lose connection If the pilot does not have this inter blue flame it will not be hot enough to make the right power. It kind of sounds like you do not have the proper pilot flame. If you don't then the glow bar will not want to lit the pilot. If you don't have the right gas-air mix then it won't lite. paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information