This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal Problems

My garbage disposal won't turn on. Is there anything I can do before I call a repairman? I am afraid to stick my hand down in there!

You might want to try to find the reset button. It is often on the side and is usually red. What do you hear when you turn it on? If all you hear is a hum, then most likely you have something caught in the blades. Make sure the power is off, and use a broom handle to gently push the blades until they turn. Use a flashlight to help you carefully remove the obstruction. That is where I would start. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I found a piece of glass that was obstructing the blades from moving. When I removed the glass, it worked fine. Thanks!

Comment

I have this same problem, only nothing is
        caught in mine. If I use the allen wrench
        and spin it, it will turn slowly (sounds
        like backwards) and gets hot real fast.
        It also killed my receptacle. The reset
        button did nothing.

Comment

M. Hall,

Yours sounds like an electrical problem. What happens when you try to turn it on? Do you have a hum, or nothing? What do you mean "it killed my receptacle?"
          Welcome to the forum!
          [}]

Comment

Thanks for the welcome...The outlet lost
            power for a couple of weeks. Yes, it
            does hum (a few bars )

Comment

Garbage Disposal won't run. Hit the reset button and it makes a humming noise for a seconds and then stops. I have to shut it off again wait a minute or so and then I can try the reset button again with the same results. I did find a piece of cloth stuck in there but nothing else. Any ideas?
              Thanks

Comment

fc99,

It sounds to me like some of the cloth might have been pulled into the motor, or is wrapped around. Are you sure that you removed all the cloth?

Try

Comment

My garbage disposal has all of the sudden started making a really awful sound when you turn it on. I am not sure what is going on with it. I didn't try resetting it yet. I didn't put anything in it, that I can remember, that was really bad. It used to spin& sing when you turned it on and now it "moans" and doesn't sound right.

Comment

I had a incident similar to what Troy described, when my child placed a rag "for fun" into the disposal. I actually had to pay someone to come fix it, I didn't want to risk any fingers

Comment

When I turn my garbage disposal on it makes noise and swirls the water/food around, but none of it goes down the drain. This is affecting the kitchen plumbing. I'm embarassingly enough having to do the dishes in the bathroom sink. What can I do to fix it??? Please help!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stegall02

When I turn my garbage disposal on it makes noise and swirls the water/food around, but none of it goes down the drain. This is affecting the kitchen plumbing. I'm embarassingly enough having to do the dishes in the bathroom sink. What can I do to fix it??? Please help!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle

quote:Originally posted by stegall02

Oops, Sorry, I'm new at this.

Well, this may be too late considering the date of your question. If you have a double bowl sink and both sides are stopped up, you'll most likely have to remove the "P" trap, that the U shaped piece at the bottom of one of the bowls. There is likely grease, food and other junk in there stopping the flow. If not, then the next most likely place would be the straight portion of the drain between the "P" trap and where the pipe enters the wall. Try a snake or even a looped end of a coathanger. Fish out whatever you can before reconnecting everything and trying again. Another trick is to have water in both bowls and hold a stopper down tight in the one opposite of the disposal while you turh the disposal on and off a few times. Sometimes the disposal will build enough pressure to force the clog through. If none of the above works, call a plumber. I hope this has helped.

Dr. Doo

Comment

I have a Badger garbage disposal unit. I placed some rice down the sink, and the disposal would not start. I cleaned out the rice and tried the switch again. There are no sounds coming from the disposal. Water empties from the sink properly. I tried the reset button and to spin the blades. The reset button causes the disposal to hum for 10 seconds and then nothing. Any suggestions before calling service repair? Thanks.

Comment

I almost went out to purchase a new garbage disposal when I read your problem solving. Thank you very much you saved my some money.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =