Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Leviton T5225

I removed an old combo switch that included a live receptacle and a switch for a disposal... I bought a new leviton t5225 and thought it would be a smooth replacement... no... I now have 5 wires available and cannot figure out how to connect them to the new switch so the receptacle is live and the switch controls the disposal... I can get it to do one or the other but not both... I have two single black wires which, if I touch together the disposal runs... The 5 wires are 1. two white twisted to one pole 2. bare ground wire 3&4 are the two black wires mentioned above, apparently one hot and one to the downstream disposal and then 5. two black wires twisted together that were attached to another pole on the original combo switch... I believe I have identified the wires except for the two black ones twisted together... please help ???

5225 wiring

follow my diagram. you should have no problem

Comment

Next Question

Thanks... that looks good but I am having a hard time executing... I have included a picture of my switch and have tried this... I hooked the ground to the green pole, the disposal lead to the brass pole on the other side, the white to the silver pole on the same side as the brass pole and the black (power) line to one of the black poles on the side where the green pole is... what do I do with the two twised black ones ? The other black pole seems to be the only bet but when I do that it blows the ground on a nearby GFI switch ???

Comment

ok wire your line wire to the brass & nickel screw. break off the tab between the two black screw. put the disposal wire on the lower black screw.

Comment

Sorry... now i have the disposal switched but the receptacle is not live... neither is another receptacle a few feet down the wall... do you mean to put the line wire (hot) to both the brass (gold) and nickel (silver) poles ?

Comment

evidently the brass and nickel are the outlet on the switch yoke. the hot feeds around the switch to the a black screw and then to the load side of the switch. anything downstream of the combo needs to be spliced to the neutrals and hot wire.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your help... I am in over my head and will get a pro in here on Monday...

Comment

I'm a master electrician but perhaps your explanations just aren't clear enough. tell you what, go to windows "paint" and draw your diagram. save it as a jpg and insert it into your post. just like you posted the outlet picture. once I get a clearer picture I'm sure we can do it right! Haz

Comment

continuing saga

I appreciate your optimism... Here is a picture of the wires coming out of the wall...5 in all...Clock wise from the top left... the wire is black and appears to be the hot line as it comes from a cap including a red and black wire... top center over the yellow cap is black but it is an extension from the two twisted white ones... the next one is from two black ones twisted together... the next one is the ground and the last one is black and when it is touched to the first black wire activates the disposal... This mish mash may be the work of an inexperienced dyi person so it may be the blind leading the blind... I have hooked these wires up in just about every configuration possible and the closest i have gotten is getting the disposal to work but the downstream receptacles do not work... I.e., the gfi button pops... I do not know enough about this stuff fto get a handle onwhere these wires go and am getting tired of going out and shutting off the breaker... Any help will be appreciated...

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =