Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this thing?

It's said to be 2.5' to 3' in diameter. Cast iron and found in a yard.

its an old electrical box. the countersunk holes around the circumference were for flat head screws. he knob n tube loom came up through the inner holes.

Comment

Were they actually that big back then?

Comment

Yup! A standard octagon box now a days is 4 inches across the flats. Those cast iron boxes were used for lighting fixtures in the ceiling where a gas pipe came through the center knockout.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of one describing it; so I can show it to her? I can't find anything on the Internet that resembles it.

Comment

the garden thing

Hi folks,

I would have joined you sooner but my computer had other ideas. I have a new picture and the measurements. That is a 25' tape measure on the top with 1' of tape pulled out. As you can see it's now standing. This thing measures 2.5 feet across from the outside edge of one small circle to the small circle opposite it. The center hole is 6" and the rectangular ones measure 5" across and this sucker is heavy! (For those of you who don't know, it's made out of cast iron.) There are some letters on one side only but they are rusted and impossible to identify. If I find out what it is before you do, I'll let you know.

Comment

Welp, so much for the knob and tube theory. I can't see anyone hanging this thing from their ceiling.

I could see this thing being used as the base for a tall high powered fan. But that's just the only thing I can come up with.

Comment

Sorry, I'm way off base. I just re-read your posting.

Comment

I know there is somebody that's seen this thing before and can identify it.

Comment

I could be wrong and that wouldn't be the first time but that looks remarkably like an old tractor counter weight.
                    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pushkins, you may be right. My dad came up with that same idea over the weekend. I'll start looking up tractors. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =