Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water runs grayish black at times

We have a new hot water heater and my hot water runs a grayish black at times. What causes this and is it save for consumption.

What type of hotwater heater is it? tankless? Are you on well water? High Magneese will turn the water gray to black in color. But it is hard to say with out testing the water to see what is in it. If you have a new water heater made with aluminum you may have a oxidation issue with milling filings in the new tank. Really the best way to find out is have the water tested by a lab I would guess it is some miniral that is reacting with the heat.

Comment

hot water runs grayish black

Thanks for the info......the heater is a sears hot water heater......also where do i get the water tested and what should they test for......

Comment

Look up water quality test in your area or talk with your local water department they have to have their water tested so they will have the name of a lab.

Comment

The test you are probley wanting will be for minerals or metals in the water.

Comment

hot water runs greyish black

I have a well so i will definitely have it tested as you suggest for minerals......thanks again

Comment

Manganese may very well be the culprit here. A degrading anode rod may also be at fault. I would suggest flushing the water heater from the boiler valve at bottom of water heater. Run in to a white bucket to observe sediment, let it settle out and take sample. Flush heater from this point for 5 minutes (DO NOT turn water off) let sit for several hours and flush again. This may help alleviate some of the problem until the cause is found. You can take a water sample directly from well to any independent water testing lab.
              RJ

Comment

Gray water....

Do you also have a pressure tank? If so, there may be a problem with the pressure tank bladder being broken. There will be a lot of black from that at times. To check, shut the electric off to the well pump. Turn on a tap to zero out the water system pressure. Once it's zeroed out, use a common tire pressure gauge to verify pressure in that tank. The pressure should be about three to five pounds less than what the the kick-in pressure is for the pump. If water comes out, then the bladder is broken and the pressure tank needs replacing. If all of this passes test, then rjh20 and rmw are correct in their assessment of manganese build up. That too can be remedied.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =