Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Refrigerator Model FRS20ZSH

My side by side refrigerator and freezer is making a horrible growling/ grinding noise about once an hour. Any ideas on what it could be or how to fix it??

Thanks!

Isolate the sound origin

Frigidaire Refrigerator Model FRS20ZSH
    Not that it is immediately needed but that model number is incomplete by 2 digits. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

freezer is making a horrible growling/ grinding noise about once an hour. Any ideas on what it could be or how to fix it?
    Not without someone first isolating the exact origin of the sound. The evaporator (freezer) fan motor might be a possibility as well as an icemaker... if installed and turned on.

You can read about unusual refrigerator sounds and the possible causes at the following link.

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

LINK > Frigidaire FRS20ZSHB0 Evaporator Fan Motor

LINK > Frigidaire FRS20ZSHB0 Icemaker Asm.

Investigation will be required to determine if either might be the cause.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It is the fan

Today I spent $229 for a repairman to come for 15 min and fix my side by side Frigidaire less than 3 years old. Before he had arrived, we left the frig off for most of the day because we thought the coils were frozen. Also, we worried that we might burn out the motor.
      When he arrived:
      1. We had to completely unload the freezer.
      He:
      2. Popped out the basket by using the palm of his hand on the underneath side on the front and then the back.
      3. Unscrewed the back side of the right runner in the way of the panel in the back of the freezer. Then rotated it forward.
      4.Took off the panel on the back inside of the freezer.
      5. Pulled out the fan.
      6. Rotated the fan a couple of times.
      7. There may be a relay switch that has to get switched on the fan component.
      8. Put the fan back in.
      9. Turned on frig to make sure if it the fan was working with no more noise.
      10. No more noise! Had there been noise, we would have needed a new fan (it has its own motor) ( single component).
      11. Put everything back in reverse order.

I think you could probably spin the fan around without taking it out and see if that does the trick. Test by turning on the frig before putting panel back on. The repairman said the freezer door was probably left slightly ajar. But, my husband had stored leftovers and blocked the filter on the inside of the frig side which may have also caused the problem. In any case, it froze up the fan and the fan stopped which caused the grinding noise.
      I hope this helps someone and saves spending money on a repairman.
      Last edited by Hello1234; 01-03-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Ask before defrosting

we left the frig off for most of the day because we thought the coils were frozen
        If you are calling in a repair person do NOT defrost a refrigerator unless they tell you too. In most cases a technician needs to see the appliance in the failed condition and not just after it has been fully defrosted.

Ask the service company BEFORE defrosting a refrigerator prior to service.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =