Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Box is this

I need to replace this box with an appropriate exterior all weather electrical box.

This housed a GFCI that was partially exposed.

I can't find a description of this thing to figure out how it is installed so I can remove it without trashing the hardy plank. It might be glued in the construction adhesive but surely these contractors didn't rely solely on construction adhesive to install an electrical box.

QUESTION: Does anyone know what this is a picture of. I can't find a description or a picture of this thing on the internet but I am sure someone here has seen this sort of thing.

thanks in advance
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

that is just a trim plate made for siding. if you go to any site that sells siding you'll find it. it has a J channel all around it for the siding to fit into.

Comment

MAN thanks for knowing what the heck this thing is. Next question. How do I remove this thing from the wall? Is this going to be a pain?

thanks man!

Comment

It could be. The ends of the siding slide into the sides of a modified J channel. The fitting is nailed in place through its own nail holes.

Comment

Siding Box Kits
          SO, now I see what a monumental screw up this is. The knuckleheads actually installed a light fixture siding box and this damn thing isn't an electrical box at all designed for a GFCI.

Now that I see how inextricable this thing is installed, there is really NO way of un-installing this thing without major reconstruction.

Any suggestions. I guess I could install a lamp there at ankle level.
          Last edited by vdotmatrix; 04-27-2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

if you have the room you could use a utility knife and trim the rectangular hole bigger so that an old work plastic box can be installed there. if there isn't a box, metal or plastic, to make it legal you'll need to cut a hole in the sheathing so the box depth can be stuck in there. the old work box has ears that keep it from falling in the wall and "ears" that swing out to hold the box from inside the wall sheathing. the sheet metal screws that come with the box may not be long enough so pick up a couple about 2 1/2 inches long.
            Go to "forum" "electrical" illustrations" page 2, thread #12 to see the plastic box I'm talking about - says CARLETON blue box.
            Last edited by HayZee518; 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I just got off the phone with ARLINGTON and they confirmed that this is the wrong product for this application being the 8081 which is an inch and an eighth deep so no way the GFCI would work and it is also not approved for "open" whatever he said, which I knew this too; this thing really isn't an electrical box for this application.

So I was able to POP off the cover and this thing was used with the flange thingy. so I will have to SCORE the thing with a utility knife like you said or maybe go comando and go native on this thing.

At any rate once this thing is out I will install an 8091F, 60VW and an NW94 and this will be up to code. Man what a hassle.

HAZEEE..thanks for your time and helpful responses!!!!

v.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =