Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore 253 Series Ice/Water dispenser not working

Hello,
    My Kenmore front dispenser stopped working this morning. i used it 30 min earlier and got 32oz of water. The ice maker is still producing ice but it will not come through the dispenser. no sound or anything. If i press the freezer light switch the light does go off and on as it should. Thanks for any advice. i don't have the cash for a service call.
    Model: 253.57388600

I am not to sure if this will work for your model, but if you look in the back of the freezer near the ice dispenser there should be a switch. The location may vary depending on the appliances brand. It might even be a button, but it should have a light beside it. My ice dispenser tends to short out so I flip the reset switch and it will turn back on again. Have you checked to see if anything is frozen up from dripping water in the back?
    Last edited by toastixeoh; 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Clarification needed

Kenmore 253 Series
      I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact and complete model number as only found right on the appliance's identification tag. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Water dispenser not working... still producing ice but it will not come through the dispenser
      Which are you complaining about, the *water* dispenser or the *ice* dispenser not working? Or is it both??

Please clarify your complaint and post the appliance's complete model number and we'll see if we can make suggestions as to the possible cause.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Kenmore Model: 253.57388600

Model: 253.57388600

Both the ice and water dispenser are not working. I emptied the ice tray last night and it is full again this morning. I looked for a reset switch but did not find one.

Comment

Door wiring?

Both the ice and water dispenser are not working.
          If the whole dispenser stopped working at the same time, the first thing to check would usually be the wiring to the door. There is a plug at the base of the cabinet/door to disconnect the door wiring from the fridge's wiring for door removal. That connection may have become dislodged or the wiring broken from wear and tear or mishap.

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan for your reply. I found the harness and pulled it off and back on. No Luck. That appears to be the problem however. The light bulb inside the dispenser doesn't work either i just noticed. I'm going to replace the bulb in the dispenser first to verify.

Comment

Dan,
              I removed the dispenser and the wire harness there was corroded. I tried cleaning and was able to get the ice/water to work for about a min. The plug needs to be replaced. I guess moisture from the ice is the culprit. I'll probably buy the plug and try it myself with the fridge unplugged. I've never dealt with electrical wiring but it appears straight forward.
              Thanks for your help.

Comment

The plug needs to be replaced. I'll probably buy the plug and try it myself with the fridge unplugged.
                That might be easier said than done. There are lots of specialized connectors used in appliances which are not available at most hardware nor even many appliance parts stores. From Frigidaire there looks to be two different complete wire harnesses (see the following links) available for the dispenser.

LINK > Kenmore 253.57388600 Dispenser Wire Harness Asm.

LINK > Kenmore 253.57388600 Dispenser Wire Harness Asm.

If needed you might need to go by their appearance because the parts lists doesn't state which one is used where on the dispenser.

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =