Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absocold Bar Fridge Help- OOPS!

I need a little help, I was defrosting my Bar fridge and was getting the ice out w/a screwdriver and I managed to tap the top of the freezer section, and next thing i knew it is hissing at me and all the pressure is coming out. if I plug it in the slight hissing starts again.It's a very small hole about the size of a period . here's my question..[:0]
    Can I buy a product that I can patch the metal with? Don't wanna buy a new fridge, it's only a few years old...
    Can someone help, and I know now not to use a screwdriver next time..
    Thanx Neal[|)]

It is possible to repair it, but if you ran it for a while with the hole in it, then most likely the compressor is damaged.
    I found this on the newsgroups:
    "You've most likely destroyed the compressor by running it dry for an
    hour. The refrigerant also contains oil which evaporates or gets
    blown out along with the refrigerant when the system is punctured.
    Sorry to tell you, that fridge is a doorstop now."

Good luck. Let us know how it goes...

Comment

Well if you only ran it for a little while, perhaps it is still repairable. If it still runs then the compressor has not siezed-up but the oil may have oxidized. A repair person could replace the oil and an epoxy compound is used to plug the hole. The issue is what it costs relative to a new compressor. Repairing the hole and replacing the compressor is still cheaper than a new fridge.

Comment

Massacres Butcher with an Ice pick! j/k

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

You have found out the hard way the proper method to defrost a fridge HAIR DRYER!

I doubt you have toasted the Compressor and it would take years for the oil to "evaporate" You heard the hissing and shut the unit down your OK!

Now in lies the problem. You need an epoxy made for aluminum patch's on refrigerators! You need a clean dry surface! You need a CFC certification, vacuum pump, gages, recovery unit, charging cylinder, replacement R134A and the know how to use all that stuff!

Make some phone calls to local appliance repair companies and tell them what you did and ask for an estimate over the phone! They should tell you how much they will charge to the repair since all you did was poke a hole in your evaporator and let some refrigerant out! It needs to be patched and recharged is all! There is no mechanical damage to your fridge, You should carry it in that will save you some $$!

If you cant find anyone contact the manufacturer and see if they can refer someone to repair it!

You will not be able to fix this on your own sorry!

16x80

Comment

Working...
        X
        =