Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dresser, rubber mat was under TV now top is messed up

I have a wood dresser stained fairly dark. I had a rubber mat (pretty much the same kind used in tool drawers) under the TV to protect the top and it actually left a imprinted mess on the top of the dresser. I've tried Pledge, a razor blade, Goo Gone, and finally Acetone that actually ruined the small spot I tried. Any ideas on what I can try to remove this without messing up the finish?

is - was the rubber mat kinda glued to the cabinet's surface? my thoughts are that the oil in the stain softened the rubber and physically stuck it to the top. I'm afraid you are going to need to sacrifice something to get the rubber off the wood. see if you can find an oil based stain that matches the cabinet and apply this to the rubber. after a while maybe you can pare it off with a scraper.

Comment

Yes, the matt kind of became glued to the top of the dresser, i was able to peel the matt off easily but it left stuff behind. Your idea worked a little but after an hour I only got a small area done and it took off the original finish too. I am starting to think I have to sand the whole top! I am super frustrated, this was a nice piece of furniture and I used the matt to protect the top, not ruin it...any other ideas?
      Last edited by DKAudio; 05-13-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =