Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Coil/Blower/Thermostat Problem?

Just turned on the air conditioner (a Goodman) for the first time this season about 3 days ago. When I got home the air conditioning had turned off at some point during the day. The A Coil seemed to be frozen up (which has been a problem in previous summers), but after leaving the breaker off for a couple hours I still couldn't get the air conditioning to turn on. I tried turning the fan on too but the blower wouldn't turn on either. I noticed on the floor around the furnace (also a Goodman) a lot of water pooling with the sound of water dripping onto sheet metal coming from the furnace. When I opened up the access panel to the blower there was water pooled inside the furnace, but not touching the blower or any of the electrical stuff as far as I could see. The thermostat looks to be working fine and turning on, but for some reason nothing else is working. Any suggestions?

check the freon level in the system. low freon will freeze up the evaporator. check the condensate drain line out of the system. maybe there's a spider's nest in it.

Comment

Thanks! I checked both and couldn't find any problems. After a few more hours everything started working again just fine. I'm still not really sure what happened so I hope it doesn't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by peetieskunk View Post
        Thanks! I checked both and couldn't find any problems. After a few more hours everything started working again just fine. I'm still not really sure what happened so I hope it doesn't happen again.
        Like you was told this can be caused by low gas, dirty inside coil. dirty filter, anything that can restrict air flow, not moving enough air through the coil.
        Check the air temp going into the coil and then leaving the coil. If you are getting more than a 18 degree drop then you will have to move more air through the coil. Check return air sizing, filter sizing, see if blower can be set on a higher
        speed. On average use the coil is just above the freeze point so it is possible
        if the humidity get hi in the house so you have a lot of water flowing down the coil that it slows the air flow just enough to start freezing on the coil. Also check your drain to make sure it clear. Paul

Comment

Just an update in case anybody was having the same problem. Thanks Hayzee and Paul. You guys were right on the money with the freon leak. After having it charged up the air conditioner worked great for about 3 or 4 days, until everything stopped. Once again the blower, air conditioner, and the heater wouldn't turn on although the thermostat seemed to be working fine and the A coil hadn't frozen up. Had the HVAC guy come out again and apparently the circuit board had lots of water damage from the A coil freezing up and thawing out previously. The circuit board was replaced, but still nothing would turn on. There seemed to be a problem with the transformer. Power was going in but nothing was coming out. After 3 or 4 HVAC guys couldn't figure out the problem I had an electrician come in and trace the problem back through the wiring all the way to the circuit breaker and he found a bad wire. The unit was rewired and has been working perfectly.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =