Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-wire cooktop, which colors?

I just bought a new cooktop. The 3 wires from the cooktop are black,red and green while the wires coming from the panel are red,white and black (circa 1995).

black -> black
    red -> red
    green -> white

Correct?

Thanks,

Mitch

BLACK is a hot, RED is a hot, GREEN is earth ground. Odd though, according to the new code appliances should have a four wire - black, white, red, green.
    But, what you have is sufficient BLACK - BLACK, RED - RED, GREEN - WHITE.

Comment

Sorry, you're right.

I have a red, black, white and ground.

The cooktop has a red, black and green.

How should I hook this up?

Note: I have put black to black
      red to red and ground to green leaving the white unattached, the "control lock" works but the burners don't.

If I put the black to black, the red to red and the white to green, the cooktop doesn't work at all.

There is a dual 30-amp breaker in the panel (that the old cooktop was powered by). According to the spec sheet for the GE PHP960DM the KW rating is 240V - 11.6, 208V - 8.7.
      It states the breaker size as 50 amps for both the 240V and 208V

Is it acceptable to swicth out the dual 30- amp breaker for a 50 amp breaker?

Single or double pole?

Thanks!
      Last edited by flyguy; 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

breaker size denotes the circuit its to protect. 50 amp is good for 6/3 with ground. wire size passes 65 amps according to code table - 30 amp breaker for 10/3 with ground. formula is Power equals Volts times Amps. Power divided by Volts equals Amps.
        All new installations for appliances in the 240 volt range require a four wire supply and pigtail. [or hardwire]

Comment

So, if I understand you correctly, I need a 6/3 for a 50 amp breaker, right? The cooktop has 3 wires (red/black/green) and is encased in a metal sleeve which I guess acts as a ground.

The service panel is in the basement, while the cooktop is on an island on the main floor - almost exactly in the center of the home.

It would be destructive & expensive to try to fish a new wire through the house (the basement is finished) . Is it acceptable to have it run along the exterior wall (in a suitable conduit) to make the connection?

Obviously, a licensed electrician will be needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

what do you have now? is it a flat cable assembly, made of aluminum and marked SEU? or is it a white or yellow jacketed romex cable that's imprinted with 6/3 with ground?
            code says you can't run romex in any type of conduit except for a mechanical protection at the ends. for conductors within a conduit, metal or pvc, type thhn or thwn #6 stranded, insulated can be run. for a new installation, must have four wires - two hot a neutral and a ground.

Comment

Even if the new cooktop doesn't use a neutral?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =