Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Ice maker switch

My Frigidaire side by side is having a problem with the icemaker. It doesn't work, but if I flick the fill handle thing out a little and let it snap back to on, it works for one cycle. Then I have to do it again.
    I'm assuming it's a problem with some switch. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make? Or do I need a new ice maker? It's only a few years old.

Model number?

My Frigidaire side by side
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

having a problem with the icemaker. It doesn't work, but if I flick the fill handle thing out a little and let it snap back to on, it works for one cycle.
    Is your complaint the icemaker isn't making ice or the ice dispenser isn't dispensing it?? Those are two different things.

If provide enough details we'll try to answer your questions.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Sorry Here's the info

It's a Frigidaire PureSource (model# FR26RLECSC). It's only a few years old.

The icemaker does nothing at all unless I flick the metal arm (on/off switch?). Just pull it up a little and let it snap back down. Then it runs for one cycle of making ice and stops again.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The dispenser mechanism and icemaker are two independent systems. The door dispenser switches have nothing to do with the icemaker's operation.

I don't see how touching the dispenser could in any way affect the making of ice except if maybe the ice cube bin was too full, shutting off the icemaker and activating the dispenser changed the level of ice in the bin.

If that's not it I'm afraid I don't have any idea what could possibly cause your stated symptoms. Please double check what is actually occurring.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you

The part I am flicking is the arm that rises up and shuts off the maker when it's full of ice. During a cycle, it rises up and then slowly goes down while the ice is being made. Then it stops at the bottom and the ice maker stops doing anything. If I pull that arm away from the bottom a little and let it snap back, it will run through another cycle and make one batch of ice (about 8 cubes), then stop again.

Comment

Internal icemaker problem likely

It's a Frigidaire model# FR26RLECSC
            The closest model number I found was FRS26RLECSC. Please double check it.

The part I am flicking is the arm that rises up and shuts off the maker when it's full of ice.
            That's the icemaker shutoff arm. I misunderstood what you were referring to originally, sorry.

In that case there may be a problem inside the icemaker. It could be from a 'sticking' (aka defective) switch (see the following link), the one the shutoff arm activates when moved or a problem in some of that arm's connecting linkages.

LINK > Frigidaire FRS26RLECSC I/M Shutoff Arm Switch

Someone would actually have to investigate to find the actual problem or replace the whole icemaker.

You can see exploded parts views of the closest fridge model I found and its icemaker at the following link and see the complete replacement icemaker assembly for that model at the second.

LINK > Frigidaire FRS26RLECSC Exploded Parts Views

LINK > Frigidaire FRS26RLECSC Replacement Icemaker Asm.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

SUPER helpful info!! Looks like I might actually be able to tackle this thing! Thank you very much for the help

Comment

Let us know how you make out. Maybe you can upload some pictures of the job for others to see?

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Success!! Thanks a ton!

Thanks for the helpful links and tips! I got brave enough to tackle the job and got the ice maker working. I'm attaching some pics of the one I have. It was easy to take out (only 2 screws and a plug) and taking the cover off (the scariest part) showed that the spring on the on/off switch arm was in the wrong place. I fixed the spring, put it back together, and now it's working better than ever. I also adjusted the ice cube size a little with the screw thingy on the outside and it seems to be running smoother than when I first got it.
                  Thanks again for all the help.
                  Oh, and special note: Do NOT touch the bottom of this thing while plugged in!!! Very hot!!!

Comment

Fixed!

now it's working better than ever
                    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up and pics.

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =