Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2) 12/2 pass thru conduit & Handy box

I am up grading the electrical in the laundry room.

OLD: 15A circuit ran washing machine, laundry outlet then continued through the wall via BX cable to the garage for outlet/light; but this same circuit had a total of 8 things on it..

NEW: I am upgrading the electrical and I ran some 12/2 through the ceiling joist down the wall behind the washer with a 4ft section of 1/2" conduit (EMT?) to a 18.0 handy box that will house a 20A GFCI outlet....Fine.

My question:

I don't want to fill that wall up with another line of conduit if i can avoid it.

But need to also upgrade the existing outlet, and continue through the wall in to the garage etc.(I merely sparated the washer to it's own 20A circuit)

....CAN I RUN A SECOND SEPARATE 12/2 THROUGH THE same 1/2" CONDUIT, THROUGH THE HANDY BOX TO ANOTHER HANDY BOX VIA a short 5" section of CONDUIT FOR ANOTHER 20A GFCI OUTLET AND CONTINUE TO THE GARAGE as above?

The second would have it's own 20A circuit breaker back at the box.

I wanted the conduit to share (2) 12/2 and use the 1st box as a "pass through", is this OK.

I hope I am dscribing this thing right.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

I don't think that would be good in 1/2". There's a heat build up in wire as it's being used, and there needs to be enough air around to allow for that. 3/4" would be more accomadating for what you'd like to do.

Comment

How about the pass through in the 18.0 handy box?
      quote:Originally posted by mrcaptainbob

I don't think that would be good in 1/2". There's a heat build up in wire as it's being used, and there needs to be enough air around to allow for that. 3/4" would be more accomadating for what you'd like to do.
      It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

NO NO NO to many conductors in the box. Is this conduit inside or outside of the wall?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =