Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensation on cold water pipes in basement

I noticed that my cold water pipes have condensation on them in my basement. Never noticed this before. I came to the conclusion that the condensation is from a combo of high temps, humidity and having the cold water running for 12hrs to fill my pool. Would this cause my problem? If not what else could it be. No water leaks in the house.
    Jtfoxman

The water constantly running for 12 hours is exactly what caused the problem.

Most of the time the water in the pipes warms up above the dew point fairly quickly and the condensation stops before it is noticed.

Only heavy water draws or. problems such as a leaking flapper in a toilet will cause the condensation problem. Sometimes climate particularly hot humid ones can be a larger problem.

In any case you can insulate the pipes and that will stop condensation from occurring.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Great to know. Thanks alot. I fill this pool once a year and just never noticed it before.
      Jtfoxman

Comment

A cool day with low humidity will make it stop as well...
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

You were correct both times. Condensation stopped once I stopped filling the pool. Then the pool was leaking and I filled it on a cooler low humidity day and there was no condensation. Thanks, appreciate the help.
          Last edited by jtfoxman; 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM.
          Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
          X
          =