Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool salt: what's the consistency?

We're looking for large quantities of salt - as close to 100% sodium chloride as possible, non-iodized - inexpensively. The local feed stores don't have it. Searching online, I've found pool salt at the local wholesale club.

Question: is it granulated? Pellets? A VW-sized block you have to break up with a jackhammer? The Morton website doesn't say - neither does any other website that I've been able to find.

(I'd use table salt, but none of the local places carry it in any useful quantity.)
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

If your using it for a pool, rock salt works just fine. As far as I'm concerned salt is salt. Cubes, blocks, rocks, it's all salt. Until they start adding things.

Rock salt is what I use in my pool for the chlorine generator.

Comment

Look, not to sound ungrateful, but that wasn't my question. I don't want advice on what salt to use for what. To reiterate:

Question: what is the consistency of Morton Pool Salt? Granulated, pellets..?
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Granulated !!

Walmart sell a pool salt as well however it's a larger granulation.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Look, not to sound ungrateful, but that wasn't my question.
          Then maybe you should be a little more specific with your question.

And just like I said, salt is salt. There is no such thing as pool salt that I'm aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            Granulated !!

Walmart sell a pool salt as well however it's a larger granulation.
            Thank you! That's what I needed to know.
            Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
            Cut with an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
              Then maybe you should be a little more specific with your question.

And just like I said, salt is salt. There is no such thing as pool salt that I'm aware of.
              My question was quite specific, and "Morton Pool Salt" is a very specific product.

morton pool salt - Google Search

And - for the record - salt may be salt, but salt products are quite different: some have additives to prevent clumping, some have additional minerals (e.g. for livestock), some have iodine (iodized table salt), pool salt - according to the Morton website - is 100% pure sodium chloride. Some "salts" (as defined: NaCl) aren't even salt at all, like magnesium chloride.

Different applications, different products.
              Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
              Cut with an axe.

Comment

As pool water passes through the chlorine generator cell, pumped through by your filter pump, the salt in the water is turned into Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the exact same component that is produced when any chlorine is added to pool water, whether you use sticks, tablets, granular or liquid. As the water returns to the pool, it will introduce the newly produced chlorine, preventing algae, bacteria and killing micro-organisms, creating a safe and sanitary swimming environment.

The website I got this from said to use pool salt, simply because they sold it.

I've been using Rock Salt for 5 years now with my generator and haven't had any problems.

It's just like Water softeners that don't use salt. They use Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride. It cost twice as much and does about half as much as salt. If you want to spend more, there is always someone that will be glad to take your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
                  As pool water passes through the chlorine generator cell, pumped through by your filter pump, the salt in the water is turned into Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the exact same component that is produced when any chlorine is added to pool water, whether you use sticks, tablets, granular or liquid. As the water returns to the pool, it will introduce the newly produced chlorine, preventing algae, bacteria and killing micro-organisms, creating a safe and sanitary swimming environment.

The website I got this from said to use pool salt, simply because they sold it.

I've been using Rock Salt for 5 years now with my generator and haven't had any problems.

It's just like Water softeners that don't use salt. They use Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride. It cost twice as much and does about half as much as salt. If you want to spend more, there is always someone that will be glad to take your money.
                  *chkl* Never said I wanted to use it for a pool or water softener. I only asked about the consistency. Thanks for the technical explanation, however.
                  Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
                  Cut with an axe.

Comment

what's the consistency?

Consistency is the amount a product is used such as fruit has a high consistency in food.

Comment

consistency - is what a product is made of, liquid, solid, granular, chunks etc also, thick, thin, watery,
                      concentration - percentage of the product in liquid form, dry form

Comment

And to answer his initial question. Rock salt is probably as close as your going to get. Sometimes called Halite, it's readily available in 40 and 80# bags. Used mostly for water softeners and swimming pool chlorine generators.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =