Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending vents under a new deck?

Hello,
    I'm planning to build a deck on the back of my house this summer. My house is built on a hill, so the back door is on the second floor, and exits out just above the back yard grade level. House and lot are also very narrow. The only place to build the deck has 4 vents, an exterior water faucet, and the sprinkler system backflow prevention, all exiting the house at about the same horizontal level. Of the 4 vents, one is the dryer vent, 2 are I believe exhaust fan vents (?), and the fourth vents our boiler/gas water heater closet.

I don't think it's possible to move all of these things, most of them are routed through our boiler closet on the lower floor, there's no place to move them to, and anyway it would mean an awful lot of cutting into the exterior of the house.

Instead of moving all of these things, it will be much simpler to attach the ledger and put the decking and everything just below them, but what's the easiest way to re-route the vents and faucet? Put holes in the deck and extend them beneath the deck? The dryer vent especially will require adding 2 bends, which makes me nervous for lint clogs. Or we could cut a new hole for it in the exterior, although this would have to be through concrete wall/foundation. Is it ok to have exhaust vents blowing directly onto the decking? The weather is already very dry where I live. The water faucet could just be extended with a hose out to another faucet at the edge of the deck. The sprinkler backflow we can just cut holes for I think.

What do you think of these ideas? I need advice/experience...

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it.

What will the distance be between the finished deck surface and the vent openings ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I think the deck surface will be about 12 inches below the vents. I'm at work right now, all my measurements are at home.

Thanks!

Comment

Unless there is a code issue in your city/county 12" of the deck surface should be okay.

Comment

I was mistaken yesterday, I didn't have my measurements with me when I answered you - it's only 6 inches between the deck surface and the bottoms of the vents, unless I incorporate an additional step down from the back door level. I will call to confirm if >12" is within code.

What about the faucet, is it ok to extend this under the deck with some additional pipes, leave the actual faucet on the exterior of the house, and put in another faucet (in series with the first) past the edge of the deck? Is this a bad idea for practical/maintenance purposes anyway, with the potential for frozen pipes? Maybe flexible hose would be better, or I could just keep the plain faucet there above the deck and have a hose lying on the deck constantly during the summer...

Thanks very much!

Comment

You could remove the existing faucet and extent the pipe out to the deck edge then reinstall a faucet, (freezing conditions might make this unwise) or extend the faucet upwards and have the hose on the deck, (this way you can add a shut off valve inside the house where the existing faucet comes from to shut off water in freezing conditions) the later might be a great idea if you plan to have pot plants etc..
            Either way I would never recommend faucets in tandem, that's kind of a recipe for nothing but disaster, you need to have complete and easy access to any faucet.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =