Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice maker keeps cycling and overfills with water

Hello:
    I have a kenmore model 25379137990. The ice maker keeps cycling-arm goes up, the then back down and it fills up with water, then a few minutes later, the cycle begins again. Of course after the second time the tray over fills with water. This started two days ago when it started leaking, and the overflow tray was full of water. The "cup" that the water pours into before going into the ice tray was pluged by ice. The bottom of ice bucket was one block of ice withwith some cubes of ice on top.
    The only way I can get it to stop is by lifting the wire arm.
    What is it that controls the cycling of the ice maker?
    Anyone know why the ice maker has lost it's patience and and will not wait for the ice to freeze.

Thanks.

Anyone know why the ice maker has lost it's patience and and will not wait for the ice to freeze.
    That sounds likely to me. There is a thermostat inside the icemaker which detects that. That thermostat may be malfunctioning and need to be replaced... or the whole icemaker.

LINK > Internal Icemaker Thermostat

LINK > Alumilastic Cement, Thermostat Mounting

Alternate:

LINK > Replacement Icemaker Asm.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the response Dan O.
      After looking at the schematic, I agree it probably is the t-stat. But after inspection of the ice maker the coating in the mold was begining to pit and chip. I found a replacement locally identical to one in the link you sent. But it did not include the double female harness and had to return it and order one with the harness.
      I am still trying to figure out why the ice plug was forming in the little funnel where the water fill tube goes into. (I think the parts list lists it as a bearing.?)

Thanks

Comment

I found a replacement locally identical to one in the link you sent. But it did not include the double female harness and had to return it and order one with the harness.
        Many icemakers look the same. It is the harness that is one of the main differences.

I am still trying to figure out why the ice plug was forming in the little funnel where the water fill tube goes into.
        The icemaker fill tube freezing closed is usually caused by water continuing to trickle through it after the fill should have stopped completely. Those trickles easily freeze, one on top of another, eventually forming a plug in the fill tube.

'Seeping' through the water valve can either be due to too little water pressure at the water valve to hold it tightly closed when not powered or a problem in the water valve itself. The former is more common.

Too little water pressure at the valve can be caused by a partially plugged sediment screen (if installed) where the house water line attaches to the valve. A more common cause however is the use of a 'self-piercing' saddle valve on the house water pipe or any type of saddle valve mounted on the underside of a horizontal pipe. Most refrigerator manufacturers recommend only a drill-type saddle valve be used for a fridge water connection (if not a regular plumbing tap) and it to be only mounted on the top of a horizontal pipe or the side of a vertical pipe.

If neither of those are the cause, the water valve may need to be replaced.

LINK > Kenmore 253.79137990 replacement Icemaker Fill Valve

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

it sounds good I like it.

Comment

low pressure

It has got to be a water pressure issue. A few weeks ago a water main burst and WASA has been working on the pipes since then and the water pressure has been varying. The fridge is about 12 years old and the ice plug issue started at about the same time as the main burst. So it may be an issue between water pressure and an old water valve.
            I purchased the new unit but I have not installed it because the origional ice maker is working for now. "If it aint broke dont fix it."

Comment

Working...
            X
            =