Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't remove doorknob?

Hi,

I am a young man new to home repairs, so I wanted to ask for some help from the experts

In particular, I am trying to replace a very old door knob. The problem is that I can't remove the door knob from the door! I attached some pictures.

I tried to do the "brute force" method of pulling out the door knob using some pliers, but this did not work (the door would break if I pulled any harder).

Does anybody know of a way to remove this door knob, so I can replace it?

Thank you in advance!

its probably glued in with paint. the striker is just pushed into the door.

Comment

I see, but how can I remove it safely? My new Kwikset doorknob comes with its own special striker

Comment

Although I cant tell for sure, it almost looks like you have just the striker mechanism left inside the door handle opening. Is this correct? If so, you may be able to knock the striker out using a good old fashion screw driver and hammer. Lay the screw driver into the hole part of the striker mechanism and give it a good whack--watch your fingers-- and it should bust the mechanism and allow you to pull the striker out. It shouldn't matter if you break the old striker because you made mention that you have a new one that came with your new handle set.

Comment

Thanks I will try this and post back tomorrow.

Comment

Don't just whack away with a hammer and screw driver, you may very well break out the edge piece of the door around the striker, most often these are installed by "pressure fit". Gently cut around the existing striker to cut any paint that may well be holding it in, with a pair of pliers grab hold of the striker and gently twist and pull at the same time.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I finally was able to remove the striker mechanism using a hammer and chisel, as JaneOfAllTrades recommended. It looks like it wasn't glued in, but held by some circular black thing (shown in pictures).
              Thanks to pushkins, I made sure to be very careful and fall back to drilling if this approach did not work.

Thank you everyone! You gave me ideas that I couldn't come up with on my own.

PS: I attached some pictures of the completed removal.

Comment

Yay! Am glad you where able to get the striker out without damaging your door! Great job! Be sure to send us some photos of your new door handle, I am excited to see the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Janeofalltrades View Post
                  Yay! Am glad you where able to get the striker out without damaging your door! Great job! Be sure to send us some photos of your new door handle, I am excited to see the finished product.
                  Sure, but it might take me some time as I got some wood chiseling to do (so I can fit the new door knob)

Comment

Great! I am excited to see how it turns out and will be looking for your photos here in the thread.

Comment

Finally done!
                      I attached the pictures.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Comment

Looks good, I really like the new handle set you chose and your istall looks well executed! Thank you so much for taking time out to show us how it all worked out for you! Are you going to rework the door leaf or leave it painted? Also, do you have any other home improvement projects brewing?

Comment

No problem.
                          I was thinking of painting the doors, but this is a future project.

About other projects, I am looking to clean out the air vents at my home--it smells like there is a dead animal or something inside ;v;
                          If I need help, I'll be sure to ask you experts

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =