Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo switch

I'm installing a motion detector floodlight above my garage and have extended an existing receptacle from the inside garage wall. Then, I have THHN running inside EMT going to a J-box right before I go through the wall. Will connect inside the box to NM (no conduit) and then go through the wall to the flood.

I'm replacing the extended receptacle with a combination switch/receptacle and would need to have constant power at that receptacle and use the switch to control the motion detector.

I have two sets of black/white/green wires coming into the extended box. One set from the THHN and the other from "power".

First, does my plan sound OK? and secondly, how should I connect the Combo switch?

Attached is what the combo switch looks like. (Please forgive my lousy drawing skills)

Thanks,
    Dan

Combo switch etc

Follow this diagram. 120 volt power must be fed constant to the motion detector. the load comes off the red wire of the detector. normally this goes directly to the lamp loads but you wanted it switched, so this is spliced to a two wire that goes back to your combo switch/receptacle. the return to the loads is black.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee518

I had wired everything according to this website diagram before I saw your post.

I don't have the motion detector yet so I don't know if the switch will do what I want but I tested the receptacle (plugged in a radio) and it worked fine.

Will this work or do I have to disassemble things and start over?
      Dan

Comment

that diagram will work ONLY if you have a switched load. with a motion sensor, the electronics have to have a constant power source, otherwise every time the switch is turned on, the motion sensor will go through a self test. follow my diagram. BTW I submitted the three diagrams on page two of illustrations.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =