Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside AC unit drops off line

The outside AC unit actually runs fine as we just had a new OEM fan motor replaced and the technician stated the Copeland scroll compressor is in good shape (freon is good as well). However, after the OEM fan motor was replaced, I noticed that several times the outside unit simply stops running (fan motor off and compressor off) while the independent fan in the attic unit continues (obviously). The max draw listed on the outside unit's placard is 35 amps, and the 220V CB in the service box going to the unit is 40 amps. When the unit has fully stopped working, I noticed that recycling the 40 amp (220V) breaker going to the unit does not turn it on, however, if I recycle the 150 amp breaker for the entire house the unit turns on again.

Why do you suppose the outside unit acts like it is getting no power when there really are no CB's being tripped?

the outside unit operates off a thermostat fixed to the condenser line. when the a/c functions the condenser's job is to remove latent heat and so it heats up. try adjusting the stat to a lower setting.

Comment

Thanks, I lowered the thermostat to 50 -- so let's see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =