Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse in oven vent ...

We have a Maytag Gemini natural gas, freestanding double oven, only about 1 yr old. This is a mousey question ... literally. I heard noises in the kitchen one night so I snuck in with the lights off and with a flashlight in hand. I pointed the flashlight at the counter in the direction of the noise and clicked it on. A very scared mouse suddenly scurried across the counter top. It was rather cute, tiny little gray thing with black little eyes, etc. - probably a field mouse. Anyway, it ran across the back of the counter top and ... jumped onto the stove. Unfortunately, at that moment it glanced upwards from the stove top and saw little horizontal slots in the black metal of the stove backstop and jumped into the oven vent. Last thing I saw was its hind legs in the air as it slid down the vent. We haven't seen it since. Here's the question ... where is the mouse now? Could it have escaped from the internal vent system somewhere? I checked both ovens below and did not see it in there or hear it. I saw no signs of it elsewhere. Where do those oven vent systems run to? I tried to find diagrams of our Gemini double oven but could not find anything to tell me where those vents lead to and if there's an external exit large enough for a tiny mouse to climb out and escape. Of course my fear is it is still in there and question is how do we get it out if there's no other exit for the poor critter ... the oven is rather heavy and I guess we could pull it a couple inches away from the wall and look in back. Never had mice before in this house, so this is a first time of such a sighting around here. This is a residential suburb, not out in the country or anything, so I think it is an isolated incident. Just wish I knew the mouse was not still stuck in there. Any ideas?

Where do those oven vent systems run to?
    The actual oven vent runs from the oven cavity directly to where it exits in the back guard. They should be sealed between those points.

There is a chance however there might be other holes in that panel just for appearance and not necessarily an actual oven vent. If so, they might allow access to the spaces between the body panels where there is the wiring and also fiberglass insulation... which rodents love to nest in.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Thanks Dan O. That would make sense that some of those vent slats are for appearance only. What looks like the vent "flume" or whatever you want to call, in the back of the two ovens, are in the center and don't extend all the way to the outter edges of the range. I'm pretty sure Mr. Mouse went into one of the central vent slats. So, unless the mouse was able to push the oven door open and slide out the front door, or able to somehow climb back up out of the vent (?) it might still be stuck in there?

I'm guessing taking the oven apart to figure out the answer to this question would be a monumental task ...

Comment

it might still be stuck in there?
        Yes.

I'm guessing taking the oven apart to figure out the answer to this question would be a monumental task ...
        I don't know on that particular range design but accessing a range's insulation is usually a fairly big job, yes. I would suggest you not put if off though because mice often deficate around where they're nesting and if they happen to be in there when you started to cook...

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

Comment

I had a mouse and a squirrel take up housekeeping in an electric range where I was living. Find it and get rid of it [them] nothing smells as bad as a mouse rotting! EEw!

Comment

Thanks for the additional responses. I agree about keeping the pests out because cooked pest is not so good.

The question is more about whether the pest is actually trapped in there or not - did it have a means of escape or not. I don't want to have to take the time and energy to tear the range apart only to find out the mouse escaped out of the vent long ago. I don't think it would have stayed in there freely of its own will since there's plenty of food around elsewhere in the kitchen and we've seen no signs of its presence since it vaulted into the vent slats ....

Comment

I think I'm going to look for one of those CobraCam 8100 Portable Inspection Cameras with USB interface, assuming the diameter of the camera lense fits into the slot.

Comment

The question is more about whether the pest is actually trapped in there or not
                I very much doubt it would be trapped in the range. If it can get in it likely can get out as well... if he wants.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =