Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace whole Central Air system or just lines?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace whole Central Air system or just lines?

I have a freon leak in my 9yr old system. I think this may have been caused by the concrete pad the outside condensor sits on, sank in the front after the house settled. My maintenance service says I need to replace the whole system. My question is, can I just have the freon lines replaced or repaired? I have had several quotes for new systems and they range between 7K and 9.5K. Thats quite a financial commitment. Is it just a matter of finding a tech that will fix the problem or are they being on the level with me or do I need to replace a 9yr old system.

Pat

Originally posted by ppelkowski View Post
    I have a freon leak in my 9yr old system. I think this may have been caused by the concrete pad the outside condensor sits on, sank in the front after the house settled. My maintenance service says I need to replace the whole system. My question is, can I just have the freon lines replaced or repaired? I have had several quotes for new systems and they range between 7K and 9.5K. Thats quite a financial commitment. Is it just a matter of finding a tech that will fix the problem or are they being on the level with me or do I need to replace a 9yr old system.

Pat
    If it were mine i would repair it. If it is fixed properly you might get another 10 years out of it. I can't see your damage, but if it just damaged the line out side, take it apart, put a few feet of new copper in there, pull vacuum, check for leaks, recharge. One man, one days work, two days max. maybe $650.00 with new pad, gas, and labor. But i would guess the rip off guys will try for a lot more. I would have to see it first. Paul

Comment

the tubing can be repaired. EASTMAN makes a tubing expander so you can splice new to old tubing without copper fittings. SIL-PHOS is a lower temperature brazing rod and less expensive than silver solder.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =