Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to label wires for new door bell chime

Situation: I installed a new chime today, and there is only one doorbell button connected. The old chime worked fine, but I swapped out for a new one.

However I didn't label the 2 wires before I disconnected them. And they are both red.

I found a red and white wire at the transformer, but the transformer does not indicate which is neutral. On the other end are 3 wires (each w/ red & white inside) that end at the chime outlet. These are spliced so that 2 red wires connected to the old chime.

I took a guess on which wire goes to which terminal for the new chime. And the new chime rang just fine when tested.

Question: Are the 2 red wires interchangeable at the new chime terminals? If the wires were not connected to the correct terminal, would the doorbell work at all? I don't want to create an electrical problem.

the new chime will have three terminals on it. one is called "common" the other two are front or 1 and rear or 2. at the old chime location you have two red wires. polarity doesn't matter here, just use one wire on the common terminal and the other to either 2 or 1.

Comment

Even if the polarity doesn't matter, is it a problem that both wires to the chime are red and not red and white instead?

Comment

nope. the colors are there for identification only.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =