Green wire to GND
    Black wire to L1
    Black wire to L2(N)

Output to Motor:
    T1 to blue wire on motor
    T2 to red wire on motor
    T3 to black wire on motor
    GND to green wire on motor

I am using a 4 wire 20 amp double pole 20 amp breaker which it calls for.
    The wire I ran over to the pump is 4 wire #10. (Black, Red, White, Bare)
    Do I just use the the black, red and bare ground and ignore the white or do I join the white and bare ground to make the GND.
    Or should I go ahead and use the white for the gnd and if so where do I hook the bare ground.
    I know in the old days you did not have the bare ground or what I call the mechanical ground.
    Any help appreciated.
    JRH

The only pumps I'm aware of that have blue or brown wires are made overseas somewhere. So if it's a Goulds, I'm not aware of what the unit looks like. Can you post a picture; so we can see where these wires are going?

I am using a 4 wire 20 amp double pole 20 amp breaker which it calls for.
    I'm not sure what a four wire breaker is.

As far as the colors on the four wire conductor your using, and electrician would be the guy to tell what colors to use for 230 volts. My guess would be black and white. Ground to green.

Comment

Pump wiring

Pressure switches basically are the same either for air or water. The spring adjusting screw is a center rejecting allen head nut. Line in and motor out as indicated on the attached diagram. For 240 operation, two line wires, two load wires. the earth or mechanical ground is shown GREEN. Disregard the white wire. If your motor is reversible you will have four wires. The wiring for the motor will be on the motor plate.

Comment

Go to the link below and you will find the installation instructions. Section 6 of the pdf.
        I misstated the 4 wire breaker. I meant to say I had 4 wires going to the receptacle box. I am not using any metal conduit from the receptacle to the control box. From the control panel to the motor there is flexible vinyl coated metal conduit. This is the reason I wonder if I should use the bare ground to the control panel and the white ground where it calls for the green wire on the input diagram. The wiring diagram is on page 11 of the pdf.

Thanks
        jrh

Comment

Speedbump - a 240 motor has two hots off a 2 pole breaker - labeled red and black. Green is mechanical ground. A two pole breaker has two leads - no more!
          The OP has three motor leads I have no idea what it is. If, like you say it's a UK thingie, I cannot offer any suggestions.

Comment

Why Black and Red instead of Black and White?

I have seen a lot of the three wire motors from China, but they are submersible pump motors. Some of their jet pump motors also have a run cap in the circuit. This is what the third wire is for.

Comment

you can use any combination of wires you want as long as you designate the hot wires. a 240 volt motor can use a two wire romex or cord assembly AND the wires are black and white with a green or bare ground. Put a piece of black tape on a white and you have an "identified" conductor," a hot if you will.

Comment

So for house current, lamps, TV's etc, those outlets would have a black, white and ground at the receptical. For Stoves, Dryers, AC units etc, both hot wires should be black with a ground?

Comment

standard house wiring like "utilization equipment" operating at 120 volts, colors would be black and white with a bare or green ground. 240 equipment like dryers and ranges [with the new code] requires a four wire pigtail. a white, bare or green ground, a red or black and a black. in a dryer and a range on the terminal strip the center terminal has the white - the equipment ground is isolated from the white and goes to chassis ground. for house wiring the only place you'll find a red is in a three way switching circuit or the equipment downstream of a three way like a split wired receptacle where one side operates off a switch and the other side is always hot. dryer cable [romex] is 10/3 with ground [black, red, white, bare ground] ceiling fans you'll find brown black blue and white and a yellow with a green stripe or just a solid green.
                  submersible pumps use black, red, and yellow. yellow being the neutral where used.

Comment

submersible pumps use black, red, and yellow. yellow being the neutral where used.
                    Actually Yellow is one 115 volt leg of the 230 volts that run the motor. Black is the main hot and red is the start wire. Red is also used with a capacitor start capacitor run motor. There is no neutral in a Sub motor.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =