Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenmore ice maker not working

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Kenmore Ice maker. I noticed today that it hasnt been making ice. I've had this problem a few times since I bought it. (4 Years ago) The first time it was the black tube that fills the mold. It was completly frozen so I used a hair dyer to melt it. I had to do that 3x since I've owned this frig. From time to time ice will get stuck in the teeth (not sure what to call it) that lift the ice up and I'd have to chip it away. This time it doesn't seem to be anything like that. I checked to make sure that the ice maker was turned on and it still did nothing. It will not even run the water to it. My water despenser on the front of the refrigerator is working fine. The model number is : 10657026601. What do I do to find out what is wrong? Do I need a new Ice maker?

the black tube that fills the mold was completly frozen so I used a hair dyer to melt it. I had to do that 3x since
    That is usually the result of poor water pressure to the fridge's water valve which allows water the trickle through where the drops freeze one by one building up to a blockage. That is most often caused by the use of a 'self-piercing' saddle valve on the house water pipe or where it is mounted.

Only a drill type saddle valve should be used (if not a regular plumbing valve) and only mounted on the top of a horizontal pipe or the side of a vertical pipe. Mounting any type of saddle valve on the underside of a pipe allows lime and scale to build up in the valve's orifice hampering water pressure, eventually leading to the problem you describe. Someone should look into the water supply to the fridge.

From time to time ice will get stuck in the teeth (not sure what to call it) that lift the ice up
    If the icemaker wasn't filling properly cubes could be too big or too small to be harvested from the icemaker properly. That could be related to the above.

Have you checked to see if the fill tube to the icemaker is blocked again?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Yes, I tried the blow dryer again on it and nothing. I can normally sqeeze that black tube that adds the water and I used to feel there was ice in it.. I don't seem to feel anything and like I said.. I used the hair dryer anyways to be sure. I thought the entire ice maker was shot but I noticed from time to time, when I check, the ice maker is working like there is ice in the tray. It lifts up to drop ice. So it is something to do with the water. Could it be the pump that pulls the water into the tray? I can still get water from my fridge to drink. The valve for the water is open all the way so I don't know what it could be.. I'm not too good with this stuff and I really don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars to fix it! Do you think the ice could build up any where else like the main line or something? The guy that came here last said it could be the heater that prevents it from melting (but it turned out to be something else) As far as what types of valves I have... I honestly have no clue.

BTW, I had a fridge with an ice maker before this one and I never had a problem with the ice maker. When I got this new fridge 4 years ago we used the same pumping.
      Last edited by MeowMix; 08-14-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I can normally sqeeze that black tube that adds the water and I used to feel there was ice in it.. I don't seem to feel anything
        The blockage could be anywhere in that line from where it enters the cabinet right up to the icemaker.

Could it be the pump that pulls the water into the tray?
        Appliances don't "pump" water in, a valve simply opens and allows the house water pressure to force water in. Yes, a problem in the fill valve could be responsible for not filling. You can see the one used on your model and read about how they work at the following links:

LINK > Kenmore 106.57026601 Water Fill Valve

LINK > How does a water fill valve work?

I can still get water from my fridge to drink.
        The only thing the dispenser and icemaker have in common is the water supply to the whole fridge. One working has no bearing on the other.

I noticed from time to time, when I check, the ice maker is working like there is ice in the tray.
        That should rule out the freezer temperature as a possible cause because the whole icemaker would cease to function. You can read about some tests that can be made on the icemaker itself at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool 'Modular' Crescent-Mold Icemaker

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        Last edited by Dan O.; 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

check out your water inlet valve and defrost thermostat

not sure if you solved your ice maker's problem of not making ice yet but most commonly it is a problem with the water inlet valve or the defrost thermostat that causes a fridge to have problems with making ice.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions !

Comment

I'm not sure what the defrost thermostat would have to do with the operation of the icemaker besides creating a defrosting problem which would increase freezer compartment temperatures and thus totally stop icemaker operation. There are several more common components that could be responsible for a defrost problem if too warm of freezer temperature is the cause of the icemaker ceasing to function.

JMO

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com
            Last edited by Dan O.; 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
            X
            =