X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door not close

I have the following garage door opener:

Model: 139.53635SRT H.P: 1/2 Brand: Craftsman

The garage door would close and reach the bottom of the concrete and then automatically reopens again.

Here's what I found out. One of the sensors is acting weird. Regardless if I block the sensor or not, it's green. On the right sensor, if I block it with my hand, the light went out. So, it seems that something is wrong with the left side sensor. Is this behavior normal? If not, is there a way to fix this?

charlie, this maynot be a photo-eye issue. if the photo eyes were out (or wiring broken somehow) the door wouldn't go down unless you held the button, if you didn't hold the button the door would stop, reverse and flash it's lights.
    A couple of things to check:
    watch the rail when it is just about to close, if the rail bows upward when to door closes completely I would say your down limit needs to be set (typically there are two holes in the side of the opener with an arrow around it, 1 for open limit, one for down limit).
    if the rail does not bow and just reverses it may be the downward force setting (located on the back of the opener head) sometimes the friction between the jamb face and the garage door will prevent the door from closing due to the force setting (you can loosen the track bolts and pull the track further from the jamb to test if its just getting pinched).

hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Charlie View Post
      I have the following garage door opener:

Model: 139.53635SRT H.P: 1/2 Brand: Craftsman

The garage door would close and reach the bottom of the concrete and then automatically reopens again.

Here's what I found out. One of the sensors is acting weird. Regardless if I block the sensor or not, it's green. On the right sensor, if I block it with my hand, the light went out. So, it seems that something is wrong with the left side sensor. Is this behavior normal? If not, is there a way to fix this?
      Without being there, it's hard to say what is wrong. Although my immediate quess is a problem with a limit switch and/or sensor.

The best advice is to contact the manufacturer.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. I guess may have to pay the service call. I have tried to adjust the limiter on the back of the GDO but it's no difference. I have tested the sensor again and it seems to be working fine. If the garage door is coming down and I ran my hand across the sensor, the door will automatically reverse. Even if I press the garage door button on the wall, the garage door will not stop at the bottom of the floor surface. It only stops if I press the garage button on the wall once again when the door is at the bottom of the floor surface -- other than that, the door will not stop at the bottom and stay down.

Comment

sounds like the limit switch

that sounds like the limit switch, you can remove the cover of the opener with a nut driver and get a good view of it (unplug the operator), this is fairly simple to fix. sometimes the limit contact will slip to the other side and causes a very similar symptom to what you are describing. this would be where the red arrow flips to the other side of the metal strip(picture in the photo is how it should look. There are a number of things that cause this, could be that it just snapped and is no longer making contact. if nothing is broken (very easy to tell from a visual inspection) just pull out a screw driver and turn until the limit comes back to the right spot

Comment

On a second inspection of the limiter, I have set it to 1 or 2 and the door finally comes close to about 4 feet above the floor surface before it reverse back. So, that sounds like the limiter is still working. However, it did not make any impact as to why the door does not stop at the bottom. Regardless if the door comes in full contact with the floor or 4 feet above the floor, the door will automatically reverse back.

Any other thing else I should check before placing a professional service call?

Comment

does the door come to a complete stop at that point? if so you should be able to adjust it back to the floor, if it isn't adjusting properly it could be the limit unit itself, there are a large number of places to get this online relatively cheap. or a local sears/door dealer might have one on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by mb123452010 View Post
                does the door come to a complete stop at that point? if so you should be able to adjust it back to the floor, if it isn't adjusting properly it could be the limit unit itself, there are a large number of places to get this online relatively cheap. or a local sears/door dealer might have one on hand.
                Yes, the door does come to a complete stop at the bottom of the floor and then it reverse back up. So, you're saying, this could be the failure in the limiter then? If so, will you point me to the exact part that I need to replace? How is the limit unit different from the garage opener? Are you saying I can replace the limiter inside of the opener separately?

Comment

charlie, when you get a chance give me a call my number is listed at http://www.prodoorsupply.com I would be happy to guide you to the correct part. yes the limit switch is a component of the opener itself and can be replaced relatively easy. Also keep in mind there are a large number of us supplying this part on-line and prices do vary and shipping varies depending on the location of the business and customer. I always encourage shopping around once you find the correct part.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give you a call about 4:15PM Central time today. It's the 800 number, correct?

Comment

yep, the toll free rings direct to me

Comment

thanks for clear this point with image help.We are looking for work in repairs and remodeling. we done this service last 20 years.We are a family owned and run company with liscense..we can solve all your problem that you complain...

Comment

Many thanks for all those who tried to help. Apparently the limiter was the one on the side and not the one on the back -- which is adjusting the force. It's working fine now.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =