Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JVC boom box not powering on???

I bought a like new but used JVC model PC-X250 boom box/shelf system really cheap.It will not power on.I was hoping if someone here had any idea of where to start with it.I opened it up to see what I could see but nothing jumped out at me.I'm thinking it might be the power module itself.Anybody that could chime in would be greatly appreciated.

Something to try:

Unplug the box for at least 10 seconds. Then plug in and try again. I have had to do this with TV's and other electronics when unresponsive.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

It's been unplugged for sometime now (a few weeks)I reopened it again tonite to have another look around inside.I found a fuse.It doesn't seem to be blown but then again simply looking may not tell you if it is good or bad.I need a fuse tester.It also has a reset button on the box.Tried that too and no go.I appreciate your response though.Any help is better than no help.

Comment

the power cord goes through a fuse first then on to the step down transformer. output of the transformer goes to a diode pair or a bridge rectifier to change the AC to DC. you need an analog volt ohm meter to test most electronic items. get an el cheapo meter from rad shack.

Comment

OK so heres where I'm at........power cord is good,AC in plug is good,transformer is good,rectifier board is good and the fuse is also good.Now heres where things get strange.After I found out all of the above,I put it back together,plugged it up and mashed the power button.It actually came on.Unplugged and plugged it back in a few more times and after each time it powered on.I even set the clock and a few presets which stayed in memory.I thought OK I'm good to go....... I guess.Took it too work this morning,set it up to listen to it.I mashed the power button and it came on but after a few minutes,the display screen turned to "hieroglyphs".Turned it off and on a few times and then unplugged it.When I plugged it back in.....nothing.So now I'm back to square 1 basically.It must be something to do with the electronic boards.It has 2 inside.1 has a few processors in it with the CD player attached and the other is just basically plugs and wires connected to the mother board. Anybody got a clue/suggestion?

Comment

there is an IC that is called the BCD converter. it powers the LED segments.

Comment

I appreciate the help.These people at JVC are pretty much useless sorry to say.I have e-mailed them several times and I keep getting a generic e-mail response.Something to the effect of "We have a very short list of parts you can buy.Otherwise see your service tech. where he can charge you a boat load to fix it" kinda thing.If I had a place to buy parts,I would just go with replacing the 2 boards on the inside and be done with it.I'm gonna take them out and see if I can't find a part number somewhere on it.Letcha know how I make out.

Comment

two places to try - howard sams photofact for schematics and product updates. In this Audio and Video forum, page three, Larry At Approved is a home entertainment tech and may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =