Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Fence Repair post-Irene

Hurricane Irene pushed our neighbors trees onto our wooden fence and it's leaning over more than 45-degrees. I can get it upright but the ground in Eastern North Carolina is flat and right now pretty saturated. I can see a gap between the 4x4 post concrete and the nearly adjacent earth in 16 consecutive locations.

My concern is that after the ground dries out the gap will still be there and the fence will not be strong enough to remove any bracing after righting the fence.

I could pour in plastic cement but that doesn't seem like a good long term solution.

I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks
    JD in Greenville

Straighten up the fence, use some braces if need be to hold it in place, backfill the holes left by the concrete base with sand, play sand from Lowe's is ideal (can't say Hd they left town ) fill the hole till about 2" from the top then flood the hole with water and let the hole dry out, this will help compact the sand back down around the concrete leg. You might have to do this a couple of times to achieve complete wet compaction.

Your not all that far from me in NC we share the same soil/sand.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Wooden Fence Repai

Pushkins
      I've seen trees like those behind you.

Thanks for your sensible response. I've done similar work installing driveway pavers.

Works for me.

Cheers
      JD Schaefer
      Raleigh

Comment

Working...
      X
      =