Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating walls. Exterior vs Interior

Ok, here is my next project. My house is made of cinder block walls..inside and out. I am wondering if considering cinder block has about no insulation value whatsoever, would I be wiser to build an inner frame (maybe 2x2 or 2x4) and insulate that (giving up some floor space) or cover the exterior? The exterior has been stucco'd over which of course means not a very flat surface to work with. I just of course want to go around the outer walls (facing the weather) the inside dividing walls are no threat..so which way to go...inside the wall or outside the walls? Thanks..

WERE THE CELLS IN THE BLOCK FILLED WITH VERMICULITE BEFORE THE ROOF WAS PUT UP?
    If no, then you would be forced to build an inner wall skeleton and insulate there.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Hayzee. I am not sure about the walls having that stuff. I did however take out an interior wall (non load bearing by the way, and it had this black stuff in the blocks that looks kind of like hardened graphite..is that that stuff? If so they missed a lot of spots..in some parts of the block there was none. This house was built in the 50s if that is any help. I also plan to place a floor of sorts up above the rafters, batts, whatever they are called to make an attic space for storage. Do I vapor barrier both sides or just the side facing the ceiling? The attic space will not go all the way across just about 8 feet wide from center, (4 foot either side of the center load bearing wall that divides the house in half) the balance will still be open attic. Someone else told me as far as the ouside walls to put plastic up against the block to curb moisture getting to the insulation..then use the craft paper type insulation facing the drywall..bottom line is it gets cold in here come winter and I am trying to reduce my heating bills..so I really want to seal the living space up best I can
      Last edited by radstorm; 09-16-2011, 05:19 AM.

Comment

With faced insulation the paper or plastic always goes towards the living space. Vermiculite looks like compressed mica. Some of these plants they sell use vermiculite as a planting medium, like dirt, but it looks tan and shiny. That black stuff you referred to may be a form of slag which was used for insulation back in the 50's. Rock wool was also used. It's itchier than fiberglass! Overhead insulation R-16 or higher would be nice. Blown in cellulose is used. It's fluffy and moisture resistant, also fire retardant.

Comment

Thanks again, Kayzee..the loose insulation sonds better for that space in the attic. However what about the walls..should I still put that plastic against the block anyways to resist moisture? I will be putting r-13 batt insulation in the framing (2x4) craft sided. Just doing what I can with this house, not like I am trying to modernize it like Bob Vila always does..LOL Just want to keep the heat in

Comment

Working...
          X
          =