Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormaster Garage Doors

Hi guys. I was planning on having a garage door installed. Can anyone recommend a good garage door company in Toronto that does a good job at an affordable rate? Has anyone heard about a company called Dormaster Garage Doors in Ontario? If anyone has tried it out please let me know about your reviews.

garagedoors

your solution is here...

Garage Doors of Las Vegas Services and Repairs All Brands usually the Same Day! We Service Broken Springs, Openers, and New Installs for Residential and Commercial Doors, at garagedoorsoflasvegas.com

Comment

Garage Doors, that's well and good but are you willing to travel to TORONTO ONTARIO?

Comment

Make sure you don't overlook the brand names of garage doors being installed by this company. CHI and CLOPAY are two of the best names in the business. Also make sure whatever company installs the doors is insured and offers a year long warranty.

Do not buy a cheap box store door and have a handyman put it up - avoid it like the plague.

-Mike
        Garage Door Parts

Comment

Just to clarify, just because you buy a door from "big box" store, does not make it a cheap door. Pretty sure Home Depot sells Clopay doors which you just claimed were the best in the business.(one opinion) You will probably pay more by going through a "big box" store because they are simply a "middle man", but the products they sell arent necessarily cheaper because of it. (I am not sure if that's what you meant, or if you were only referring to the handyman install- but I wanted to clarify for the other readers in the forum). I do agree that a garage door should be installed by a professional however, if not installed correctly, you will be fighting the door constantly for many years. If done right, a new door should last you 30 years.

Comment

I'm really not going to back down from my original statement much - the doors in box stores are for the most part, made to cover an opening at the lowest cost possible. They are what I call cheap...I never said they don't serve their purpose.

If you are looking for a door to withstand the test of time, that wont rattle in the wind, that won't crack, peel , buckle in 12-15 years time buy a premium door from a dealer.

I sell garage doors for a living and I can't even begin to count how many times I have heard people tell me they wish they WOULD NOT have bought the lowes brand/menards/ home depot "junk". (Their words not mine)

Clopay sells in box stores - but the stock models they sell are cheap door kits. Special order doors offered are much better quality - and its not really an opinion when you say Clopay is among the best in business - ask around...
            Last edited by stampdoorparts; 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I will have to disagree. If your going to buy a cheaper, noninsulated door that rattles in thw wind, you can buy those from anywhere including premium dealers. You get what you pay for. However you can still order the same "high quality" door from Home Depot/ Lowes that you can buy straight from the dealers. They aren't going to "hide" the good stuff- that doesn't make sense. Look at the brochures they offer and choose whatever quality door you prefer- you aren't limited to the cheap ones. You have heard people complain about the "junk" they get from big box stores, but I can give a list of people who are not happy with the doors they got from the "premium dealers". I can also give you a list of people who are completely happy with the doors they got from Lowes for example. If you want a cheap door ( for a rental property for example). Then you can get one at HD or wherever. But just because that's where you bought it, doesn't make it cheap. It doesn't work like that.

Comment

"However you can still order the same "high quality" door from Home Depot/ Lowes that you can buy straight from the dealers."

"Clopay sells in box stores - but the stock models they sell are cheap door kits. Special order doors offered are much better quality - and its not really an opinion when you say Clopay is among the best in business - ask around..."

I never said that you couldn't if you read the bold text. If you actually read my post you will see that I said they don't STOCK quality doors in house. If you are trying to make a point that the doors in stock at Lowes and Home depot are quality I'm going to have to disagree, again. They have to special order quality doors.

Most people don't know or are never told their is another option (special ordering a quality door) from a box store. They simply walk in and buy whatever is in stock. They don't ask about metal gauge, warranty, springs, hinge type, extension, torsion, struts, r value, roller type, lhr track, highlift, follow the roof pitch (because they don't know enough about doors.)

If you are trying to cover an opening at the lowest cost and don't care about performance, reliability and aesthetics buy box store door kits and stay away from dealers.

This will be my last post on the matter - I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
                Last edited by stampdoorparts; 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I am happy to see it will be your last post on the matter because you keep saying the same things- and they are all over-generalizations. Your saying most consumers who are willing to spend $1000+ on a new garage door simply walk in to a store and buy the first thing they see on the shelves without asking any questions about their options?? Really?? I would like to give customers a little more credit than that- and frankly I would find it insulting. I would argue that most people who are willing to make this considerable investment to their home are savvy enough to see what is available and explore their options. And when they do this, they will see the variety of quality they can get depending on what they want to pay. So yes, you can walk into Home Depot and buy the first thing you see, and then not be happy with the noise or insulation it provides. But that is because you bought a door that wasnt designed to provide those qualities, not because it's a "cheap door from Home Depot". I have installed 1000's of doors from Lowe's and Home Depot, as well as from specific dealers and I have never been called back to a customer's house on any of them because the door has fallen apart or proven unreliable. NONE. With some exceptions, the quality of most garage doors is essentially the same. Everyone makes a cheap, non-insulated pan-style door, and everyone had a double sided steel, sandwich type steel door with varying degrees of insulation. FACT. You absolutely get what you pay for as far as noise and insulation goes, but you should never have a door "fall apart". The only way this happens, and one that I want to stress to everyone, is because the door was installed improperly or hooked to an opener that was installed improperly. Otherwise the door goes up, and the door goes down- there isnt a lot of things to damage IF IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. Aside from Ankmarr's fiberboard POS, the only reason a door fails should be to poor install- which happens A LOT. So , the point is, for the consumers out there, dont be afraid of buying the least expensive door if thats all you need. But also dont be afraid of walking into a big box store and checking out your options, and buying a quality door (I know you aren't but I have to make the counterpoint here). As I mentioned before, you may pay a little more, but you will get the same product you would get if you ordered that same door direct from the dealer. Home Depot, Lowe's etc, are simply showrooms for the dealer. It's not like they carry a different product line. My goal here is to clear up the gross exaggeration that buying a door from a big box store means you bought a piece of junk. its just not true.

Comment

In reading your reply again, I see that we actually do agree that you can get high quality doors from big box stores. Your point is that you will have to special order them to get the quality. This is true, however, your earlier posts ensenuated that ALL doors from Big Box stores are cheap peices of Junk, and THAT was the myth I was trying to debunk. In the end, I see we essentially agree, but I just wanted to clarify the difference for the readers. I don't want them to think it's impossible to get quality doors from these places- because they can.

(I also learned that when this website sends you an email letting you know someone responded to your post, the e-mail doesnt include the ENTIRE post. you have to actually go back to the thread and read the entire thing. I was missing some of the message..sorry about that)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =