Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing inner tub from Kenmore Washer

I have a Kenmore washer, 110.28902790. I'm trying to replace the wear pads following the video on repairclinic.com. I had trouble getting the nut off the top of the tub, and went and spent $18 for a spanner wrench (that I'll probably never use again - I hope). Managed to get the nut off, but the next step in the video shows the guy easily lifting the inner tub from the washer. Mine won't budge. It feels like there is still something holding it in. Is there something else I need to remove to get it to come out? I tried tapping lightly on the center shaft, and also put some light oil around the lip. It's giving no indication of moving. Help!!

underneath that metal piece there should be two bolts that hold a bar that locks the trunnion to the transmission. the tub fastens to the trunnion nut. they call it a nut but its just a flange that the tub bolts to. underneath the trunnion nut is your tub seal. its a two part seal, bottom part is spring loaded. once the tub is out, the outer tub can be removed by removing the bolts that hold it to the spider that has the counter balance springs attached.

Comment

underneath that metal piece there should be two bolts that hold a bar that locks the trunnion to the transmission.
      That is only on Frigidaire built washers. The OP's model was made by Whirlpool and is a totally different design.

Managed to get the nut off, but the next step in the video shows the guy easily lifting the inner tub from the washer. Mine won't budge. It feels like there is still something holding it in. Is there something else I need to remove to get it to come out?
      No. It may just be 'cemented' to the shaft by caked up detergent detergent, etc. Suggestions on how to try to disengage it were given to you in your forum message posted at my web site.

Originally posted by Hawk

The basket frequently is "glued" on with a grimy mix of detergent that can be difficult to remove. Twisting and rocking the basket after soaking with WD-40 is a way to get it off. I have stood with one foot on the top of the agitator shaft, then grabbing the basket with my hands lift, twist, and rock to get it loose.
      Wrapping the center of the tub with a rubber mallet can sometimes loosen the caked up detergent as well.

JFYI

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      Last edited by Dan O.; 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

Thanks, Dan. You told me what the problem was a while back when I posted that my washer was banging on spin. I'm just getting around to fixing it. I posted here and on your site, hoping you'd see it and give me advice. I was thinking of using a heat gun to soften the gunk. Ever tried that? I've been using penetrating oil and a rubber mallet since yesterday without success.

Comment

I was thinking of using a heat gun to soften the gunk. Ever tried that?
          A heat source can sometimes be used on metal to make it expand and thus loosen off whatever it is attached onto. That might help. I don't know about it softening the gunk but that might be possible as well.

JMO

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com

Comment

Tub counter balance spring

I have a Kenmore washer, 110.28902790. I posted on here before, and Dan pointed me to videos of how to replace the wear pads. After a huge battle, I was able to remove the inner tub, outer tub, and get to the pads. They really didn't look worn, but I replaced them anyway. I think the real problem causing my washer to rock and bang when it was spinning was the fact I found 2 springs under the washer! One was one of the 3 suspension springs, which I will replace when I put everything back together. The other is a longer spring, I think it's what they call it the tub counterbalance spring in the video. Since it was on the floor, I'm not sure where it goes. I found a parts diagram for the washer on the Sears parts website, but I'm not sure which part it is or where it goes. In the video it looks like it hooks to the top of the outer tub, but I don't see a hole for it to go in, or where the other side would attach to. I also found a small clearish plastic tube about an inch and a half long with a brass pin or weight in it. What is that, and where does it go?
            Thanks again for all the help!!

Comment

I found another video that shows how to replace the spring, so I think I have that part figured out. But what about the plastic tubes? They look like they're made of the same material as the outer tub, and have a brass pin inside. What are they, and what purpose do they serve?

Comment

You're likely referring to the shipping pins. If so, just leave them where they are.

Dan O.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. The washer is working like brand new now.

Comment

Fixed

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.
                    Appliance411.com

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =