Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 2200 Works Fine but then E14

I'm new to the forum, but need some help. My monitor is cycling fine but gives an E-14 after the burner goes off. Burner comes on great, runs smooth (some clicking, but not more than normal) goes to high flame and fan fine, ramps down, hits temp on thermostat, shuts off, fan keeps running for 3 minutes and then the E-14 message comes on and it beeps until I turn it off.

Some background: I live near Binghamton NY and hundreds of miles from any dealer. My family is from Northern NY where Monitor is popular so I got one and brought it down. 2 weeks ago I had to disassemble from the wall and move the unit to the 2nd floor because of the flood waters from Irene were coming up. Unit never came close to water, but I did have to re-install. Now I get this E14 message.

Any ideas?

M2200

Ryan,

If you are still running the unit upstairs the fuel tank my be too low. The unit is a gravity feed device so it has to be below the tank level. If you reinstalled it downstairs you probably have air in the line. loosen the fitting at the filter and let some fuel out. That will more than likely break the air lock.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. By filter, are you referring to the fuel constant level valve filter?

Comment

on the right side of the unit near the bottom is a large philips screw. make a trough out of tinfoil and place it underneath the white metal piece near the bottom. use a shallow pie tin. back off the screw and drain some fuel into the pie tin. screw the screw back in and try the heater. I'm up in northern ny between potsdam and malone. where you from? Parts are available from Adirondack Hardware in Keeseville NY or Mullarney's on route 11 in Malone.

Comment

My wife's family is from Keesville. Update: I let some kerosene out as suggested, but still getting the E14. Also, I bumped up to Economy Plus and the heater is NOT going all the way to temp. It's pouring out some pretty hot air, so I'm inclined to think now that it is overheating, even though the normal E17 error isn't registering.

It was running fine until I had to re-install it. So I'm wondering if either of these changes could be causing the overheat:

1) The joint pipe is kind of cockeyed right now. To get it to align I had to turn slightly sideways. Manual shows it dipping down into the flu pipe. Picture of my unit attached.

2) The threads on my hose band used to connect to the flu pipe was shot. I'm using a more standard $.75 hose band now. Is there something special about the ones that come with the unit?

3) The air in take hose is pretty doubled back. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to straighten it out? Picture attached.

Comment

E14 message

Ryan,

I’m not sure if your stove is Upstairs or back to the Down stairs location. If it is up stairs, how high is the bottom of the fuel tank above the floor the stove sits on?? There is no E17 message on a Monitor heater. Monitor does not give an error message for Over Heat. You have to interpret the E14 message. It really means the stove started normal and ran for a while and then lost its flame. This could be an over heat, or low fuel level, dirty filter or an air lock. From your pictures I see nothing that would give you an E14 message. The set up as shown should work just fine. Are you using the “S” air damper in the air hose? It is a very important item and should be used.

Tom

Comment

Downstairs. I use the internal tank. We just use the unit for supplemental during the winter and primary for these crisp fall days. I took the in take hose off and made sure the air damper was in place. Is this the right one?

Should I try clearing out the fuel constant level filter and do a full clean on the filter?

Comment

the cockeyed appearance of the intake/exhaust tube suggests that the tube is installed too high for the heater. the offset allows for some misalignment but it should be close to what the install instructions say and the hole should be bored at a slight angle [down] from the inside to the outside. the flex hose you show shouldn't be a problem but the transition from the heater and the tube should be kinda smooth. loosen the inlet/outlet elbow and turn the elbow so the tube isn't kinked back up on itself. Funny, my wife IS from Keeseville. Her last name is Carter before she married me. She lived on Grove St. I used to work for Geo Moore.

Comment

day tank screen

Ryan,

If you are using the day tank, check the screen where the tank fits into the sump. If there is lint or junk there it will impede the fuel flow. If that is clean I would clean the constant level filter.

When using the day tank you have to be very careful fueling it to make sure your fuel is clean. The damper pictured is the correct one. You might try putting the hose on the other side air fitting. It would have a smoother transition.

Tom

Comment

OK, after a couple weekends away I went back at it. Changed the hose to the other side, re-balanced the unit, cleaned the fuel constant and still getting e14.

Occasionally, the unit cycles through fine. It actually appears that if the outside air is cooler than 45F the heater doesn't overheat and works fine, although I haven't had enough days to test this. I did leave it on overnight on a cold night and it never rang out.

Any additional ideas on what could be causing it to just so slightly overheat?

Comment

you said you had to move the heater from the ground floor to the second floor. are you using a toyo or monitor high lift pump for fuel?

Comment

It was a temporary move. I never hooked it up in the 2nd floor. Also, I use the internal tank, so no pump involved.

Comment

ok, so there is a direct run to the fuel sump tank. is the outlet hose kinked or restricted in any way? does the fill cap have a vent hole in it? no vent hole will keep fuel from flowing because as the fuel goes out it will create a vacuum and stop.

Comment

excerpt taken from error listing pdf:
                            E14 Flame failure There are obstacles at circulation
                            air inlet or outlet.
                            Fan cage is clogged with dust.
                            Gas pressure dropped when other
                            gas appliances are turned on. [propane only]
                            No fuel
                            Fuel line obstructed
                            internal tank not vented

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =