Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage yamaha cr-2040 question?

Just picked up this receiver...at first I got next to no sound...as I started to wiggle the volume I could hear music very faint.

I have cleaned a few pots in my time, I could not find my radio shack brand contact cleaner and had some other industrial stuff which I have no experience with.

After the cleaning what I found was:

The left side of both channels had fairly loud sound with a slight distortion.
    The right side had a very faint sound. The unit also makes a pretty loud pop when firing up and turning off.

My question is...does this sound like It could be dirty pots and I should try the brand of cleaner I know?
    Or does it sound like more is going on?

the potentiometers are of the resistance strip type with a wiper. they are audio taper. dust will cause the wiper to jump on the resistance. use a rad shack tuner cleaner [ quick evaporating] spray it into the control and rotate the wiper back and forth a few times. give it another shot and leave it alone until the solvent evaporates.
    do not use wd-40!

Comment

lol i second that!! dont be tempted to use wd40! it has been known to literally rot plastic pots and switches. it sounds to me like the unit needs a good overhaul. clean switches, check for dry joints and clean all the pots, at least after doing that if you still have problems, you can eliminate all these.

peter

Comment

Working...
      X
      =