Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use Fernco Coupling for This

I'm trying to reassemble the PVC pipes under my kitchen sink. The pipe in the wall had a short length of pipe screwed into it. PVC pipe went into that, and was held on with a metal screw on connector with a washer inside it. That metal connector was in bad shape, so I took it off with a pipe wrench. I was unable to screw on another one as it would not screw on straight. I assumed the threads on the pipe were damaged, so I tried to remove it with a pipe wrench. It broke off where it went into the pipe in the wall. Part of it is still in there, and I can't get it out. Can I use a Fernco type coupling to connect the pipe in the wall to the PVC? Problem is the end of the pipe in the wall is not round, like a circle. It has flat areas so it can be gripped by a wrench. I tried to remove it but can't get it loose. I don't want to use too much force. So, if I got a Fernco type coupling to go on the pipe in the wall would it be a tight seal? It would be a round coupling going onto a pipe that has a faceted end. I hope that makes sense. I can't afford a plumber. Got to fix this myself.

Sounds like it is a slip joint...

Can you post a picture please?
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Sorry, I can't post a pic. Not allowed to do that until I have made 15 forum posts.

Comment

The PVC pipe did not have threads on the end and did slip inside the threaded pipe I broke off, if that's what you mean by a slip joint

Comment

Ok did the threaded pipe break out of the tee or elbow in the wall?
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

It broke out of the elbow in the wall

Comment

You will either need to get a new nipple (piece of pipe threaded on both ends) to screw into the tee or elbow in the wall or, open the wall and replace the tee or, elbow in the wall.

If the piece of pipe that broke off is still in the tee or, elbow it wiil have to be removed to thread a new one in. Usually cutting into it with a hacksaw and prying works. The threads in the tee or, elbow may be usable or not which dictates the rest of the repair.
              Last edited by Redwood; 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM.
              Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =