Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinkler line won't shut off...

Greetings,

I'm in the process of modifying my backyard sprinklers. I need to shut off the main water line to the house in order to remove a section of PVC in the main line coming out from under the house and connect a new piece from that main line to the valves. Shutting off the water to the house from the main valve is no problem, but for some reason the line to the backyard continues to run, but at a very slow rate. I thought that since it was the lowest line it might need a chance to drain, so I waited 20-30 minutes but it continues to run, again at a very low rate. Needless to say, this makes it diffficult to cement new PVC with a good seal. Any ideas? Thanks.

See this post:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bponline

Greetings,

I'm in the process of modifying my backyard sprinklers. I need to shut off the main water line to the house in order to remove a section of PVC in the main line coming out from under the house and connect a new piece from that main line to the valves. Shutting off the water to the house from the main valve is no problem, but for some reason the line to the backyard continues to run, but at a very slow rate. I thought that since it was the lowest line it might need a chance to drain, so I waited 20-30 minutes but it continues to run, again at a very low rate. Needless to say, this makes it diffficult to cement new PVC with a good seal. Any ideas? Thanks.
      Bp-Sometimes a valve won't seat correctly because of slight wear or some corrosion upstream getting in the valve seats,here is something you can do in the event of water leakage,In the case of PVC you don't need the water off the glue long for it to set up,cut a piece of t-shirt that fits up into your pipe, and you'll have to glue a PVC union on to that joint,in 5 or 10 minutes or so, get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the piece of rag you stuffed into the pipe out,glue the other side of the union on and run your line.hope it helps

Comment

Working...
      X
      =