Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove curry odor...?

Hi everyone and thanks in advance...Hoping that someone has experience in successfully removing a curry odor that permeates a home. I swore I would avoid purchasing a home with such a problem, but after a year of searching, my wife and I finally found the perfect home, this being the only negative.

I expect to have 2 weeks or so after closing to correct this problem before we move in. I'm planning to scrub the kitchen cabinets and appliances, and use a coat of primer/sealer prior to painting the entire interior. There is a new berber carpet throughout most of the house, but I suppose that it will unfortunately have to go if I am to eliminate this smell.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated - as would any opinions on my planned method of trying to correct the problem. Thanks!

Possibly scrubbing the kitchen down with a strong baking soda solution. Inside the cabinets as well as the bottoms. For the carpet, I'd go with either Nature's Miracle or Febreeze spritzed on it. Maybe even sprinkling straight baking soda on the carpet and leaving for a few days, then vacuum.

Comment

Thanks bob - I'm planning on giving the kitchen a good scrubbing, and a coat of sealing primer on the walls prior to painting. I'm under the impression that this is a really tough odor to get rid of, I would live with it and hope to eliminate it over time if both my wife and didn't have negative physical reactions to it - irritated eyes and the like. It would be best to get rid of it ASAP.

I'm considering using ozone generator - not too familiar with them or how they work, but I've done a little reading on them and found that they somehow alter the atmosphere to eliminate offending odors. The theory behind this process is way outside my comprehension, but I've read that these devices are successfully used to eliminate odors from mold and fire damage.

I've also been told that once the curry odor is embedded into your carpet, it must be replaced. I'd replace the carpet anyway just because it is unnatractive, but it is relatively new and I'd hate to have to replace it immediately, what with all the other expenses I'll have to deal with when moving in.

Thanks again!

Comment

For that carpet.....how about checking a good quality carpet cleaner? Like somebody who would do Persian rugs or such? They may be able to guide you. A manmade fabric would be easy to clean as it wouldn't absorb the odor. Natural would be more a problem. I'd also talk with the fire department about companies that specialize in cleaning the smoke odor from home fires. Those kind of companies would have a good handle on suggestions, too, I'd bet.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dominick

Hi everyone and thanks in advance...Hoping that someone has experience in successfully removing a curry odor that permeates a home. I swore I would avoid purchasing a home with such a problem, but after a year of searching, my wife and I finally found the perfect home, this being the only negative.

I expect to have 2 weeks or so after closing to correct this problem before we move in. I'm planning to scrub the kitchen cabinets and appliances, and use a coat of primer/sealer prior to painting the entire interior. There is a new berber carpet throughout most of the house, but I suppose that it will unfortunately have to go if I am to eliminate this smell.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated - as would any opinions on my planned method of trying to correct the problem. Thanks!

Comment

Dominick - just want to know what your progress is. I'm having the same problem. Carpets are being replaced.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by dominick

Comment

Working...
            X
            =