Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX tubing instead of copper???

Have any of you used the PEX tubing instead of copper when plumbing your homes? Here in Chicago it is being used often as a cheaper alternative to copper. Just wanted to hear your experiences with it.

I've just installed some PEX.
    Not THAT cheap really because I can't keep costs down as I'm not a contractor
    or buy it in bulk quantities.
    The crimpers? Wow! are about $100 smackers.
    The crimp rings go for about $10 per pack of 25pcs for 3/4" size around here.
    I borrowed one from a very good friend instead.
    Last edited by Stayouttadabunker; 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

PEX is much cheaper than copper, a roll of PEX is around $50 (1/2" 100') same roll of copper around $200. Add on top of that the time and copper fittings to solder.
      PEX advantage is that if it freezes it just swells and as it thaws it returns to it's original shape (almost anyway)
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

PEX in Chicago

PEX has a lot of positive attributes. Be careful using it in Chicago; it is not approved in the plumbing codes.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyrad View Post
          PEX has a lot of positive attributes. Be careful using it in Chicago; it is not approved in the plumbing codes.
          Are the plumbing shops in the Chicago area stocking PEX tubing?

Comment

The Orange & Blue Big Box Stores will stock plumbing items regardless of whether they are code approved in an area or, not.

If there is a problem IE a leak, your homeowners insurance will note the unapproved illegally installed material and deny any claim for damages.
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

look at attachment ) copyright pexpipe.org
              Last edited by jamesborn; 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM. Reason: Additional copyright info

Comment

Originally posted by tommyrad View Post
                thanks for information!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesborn View Post
                  look at attachment ) copyright pexpipe.org
                  Are you thinking PEX is immune to bursting from freezing?
                  It's resistant but not immune...

Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

of course any materials have own limits .... pex have too
                    Last edited by jamesborn; 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Pex is prone to fail due to freezing when used in shot pieces because they just can't expand enough before it hits a fitting. That said pex is all I use in Western Alaska because it will take so much abuse with freezing, but remember we arn't supose to freeze our pipes. Pex just helps when you do.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. Short pieces with 2 - 7" between the metal connectors are prone to failure as an ice plug forms at the connectors then the freezing moves inward. The short piece does not have enough expansion to absorb the expansion of the water freezing.

There is also a type of PEX that has a layer of aluminum in it and this type does not fair well when frozen either.
                        Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Pex is my vote

Comment

PEX is so easy DIY install!!!!

Comment

I'm not so sure that I'd install an unapproved material in my home...

If there is a failure which happens and already has...(Kitec Class Action, Zurn Class Action, Rehau Class Action, Wirsbo/Uphonor Class Action, Dura-Pex Failures)
                              You'll be playing left out...

Then of course that other pesky matter of a home inspection when you go to sell your home...

Of course the illegal pipes will have to be replaced at your expense before the sale can go through...
                              Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =