Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culligan softener won't draw brine

I have a Culligan N8 Custom Water Conditioner that is 19 years old. It is not drawing water out of the brine tank that I recently replaced. I also replaced the cam assembly w/bushings after that and it worked fine at that point. I've checked the flow system of all componets and there are no obstructions in any lines. Any suggestions.
    thx aw

Since I don't work on proprietary softeners I don't have any idea what could be wrong. But after 19 years, I would say you have gotten a lot of mileage out of that unit.

It should probably be buried in a shallow grave in the back yard and replaced by something that more than likely won't last half that long.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't give up that quickly. I'ts a sold unit with new parts. I'll just keeping searching for answers.
      thx aw

Comment

What do you mean by "Sold Unit"? Did you replace the resin in the main tank? If not, it's capacity would be pretty bad.

Comment

My Bad , (solid unit). I had a tech check the system out a couple days before it quit working. I found the timing a little suspicious, but what can I do. He said the water tested soft and that the resin was doing its job.
          Is it difficult to replace the resin? That may be an issue for how well the sytem softens the water, but until I can get it draw brine I won't know.
          thx aw

Comment

Sure the resin may be doing it's job, but if it's capacity went from 100% 19 years ago down to 10% now, it won't get you through the day without an additional backwash.

Comment

I'm not one to believe what I read at face value, but check out this link about resin.

I need 15 posts before I can actually post a URL, if you google '"water softener" +resin' you'll find an article from "Softenerparts" about resin replacement that is very helpful.

But agian, until I can get some "HELP" to resolve my issue this is a mute point.

thx aw

Comment

I agree, that the resin in many cases will outlast the head. But in reality with wells, there is sometimes iron and sulphur to contend with. These minerals can help break down the resin prematurely. With city water like they mentioned, chlorine will turn it to goo.

Comment

Good point.
                  I'm in the country, so I have a well with no sulpher problems and a whole house filter with a 5 micron filter placed just before the softener.
                  I know from some of your other posts that you think these are a waste of money, but I know it's removing most of the iron, because I can see it in the filter.
                  thx aw

Comment

You cannot see iron dissolved in water!

What you are seeing on the filter is more than likely a staining and an accumulation of biofilm...

Your whole house filter does not remove iron.
                    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

resin replacement....

I replaced the resin bed at my last house. It was a copper color and the softener just wasn't acting 'right'. It was about twenty years old or so. Along with other changes in the system I swapped that out for a gold color stuff. No idea brand names here. Too far back to remember. But it seems like I purchased a what was touted as a higher grade resin. Anyway....it made a world of difference. No idea what the original color of the original resin was. Maybe it was yellow also but discolored from the iron. Dunno. But the new stuff sure made a nice improvement to the house!

Comment

If you even has 1/2ppm of iron, and your inline filter could catch it, you would be changing that cartridge once a day or more. If you have ever seen a REAL iron filter, they are in a tank that is at least 9" X 48" in size and is backwashed every two or three days to get rid of the iron they catch. Do you really think that little 10" X 2" cartridge can do that kind of work? If you do, your fooling yourself.

You see, that's what the sellers of these filters want you to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                          You cannot see iron dissolved in water!

What you are seeing on the filter is more than likely a staining and an accumulation of biofilm...

Your whole house filter does not remove iron.
                          I hope this Biofilm is not some of the bad stuff I read about. If I remove the filter, will it flush straight thru the system or is it still collecting in other placing in my water system?
                          thx aw

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
                          If you even has 1/2ppm of iron, and your inline filter could catch it, you would be changing that cartridge once a day or more. If you have ever seen a REAL iron filter, they are in a tank that is at least 9" X 48" in size and is backwashed every two or three days to get rid of the iron they catch. Do you really think that little 10" X 2" cartridge can do that kind of work? If you do, your fooling yourself.

You see, that's what the sellers of these filters want you to believe.
                          I bought with the softener so that's a dun deal. Should I just remove the filter or what?

thx aw

Comment

I bought with the softener so that's a dun deal. Should I just remove the filter or what?
                            Yes, or you can simply remove the cartridge and leave it out. The canister is handy if you ever wanted to add some bleach to your plumbing for some reason. You can put it in the canister and turn the water back on.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =