Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE over the range microwave shutting totally off

I just purchased a GE over the range microwave from a contracter who builds houses. The Model is JVM1730DM1BB and the serial is R59012098.

I had some cabinets fitted for this microwave and it was mounted. Upon plugging it in and while the installer was running the exhause fan to check for leaks, it turned totally off after a couple of minutes.

That was a couple of days ago. I plugged it in this morning and the display came on and tole me to set the clock so I did. Then the display flickered a little and the whole thing died again so I unplugged it.

About 20 minutes later, I plugged it in again and the display acted like it was trying to boot up but the whole thing went dead again.

I just now plugged it back in and this time when the display came up I set it and also decided to try the exhaust fan. The display flickered after about 20 seconds and went off. So far the fan is still on after about 10 minutes but everything else is dead.

Bad electronic control?

So far the fan is still on after about 10 minutes but everything else is dead.
    That would rule out a problem with the power supply to the whole appliance.

The display flickered after about 20 seconds and went off
    As long as power is getting to the appliance I don't know of anything that would cause the display to fail besides a problem in the electronic control itself (see the following link). There are no safety devices or other components that would affect just the control.

LINK > GE JVM1730DM1 Electronic Control

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

The fan continued to stay on for about 15 minutes until I decided to try and turn it off at the display panel and of course it didn't turn off. So you think it might be the electronic control? Where is that located? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

As I stated, if the display is not lighting up, I don't know anything else that would cause it besides the control itself.

Where is that located?
        The display LEDs are mounted right on the electronic control.

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

One last thing. I just now re-plugged it in and the display did come on. I had put some water in to see if it would heat the water. When I plugged it in I immediately set the microwave on two minutes.

The turntable started turning and after about a minute or so the whole thing died again.

I took out the water and it was warm.

If the display panel comes on like that and I am able to actually microwave something do you still think that the problem is in the control panel (the display does light up and everything works but not for very long before it completely shuts down).

Comment

If the display panel comes on like that and I am able to actually microwave something do you still think that the problem is in the control panel
            Electronic controls can be intermittent. That conditon is often caused by a bad solder joint in the circuit board which can allow it to function until heat generated by use causes the failure to open and stop operation.

As I said, I do not know of anything that would cause the display to go out while other components still continued to function besides a problem in the control itself.

If you are unsure of the cause you might want to consider having a trained service technician diagnose it for you.

JMO

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

Comment

In case this issue has not been solved, or the oven replaced, it sounds you have an interruption in the power to the controller.

I've attached a photo of a board that should be the same as yours.

There should be a technical sheet / mini-manual hidden behind the microwave or oven controls of elsewhere in the chassis of the unit.

There is a video showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes. The video is on YouTube at /watch?v=BHcO5HBenK8. Or Microwave Display dot com.

It may be a bad connection on the internal fuse / fuse holder, or at the thermal cutout (TCO) or thermostat on the magnetron or on the oven cavity.

It may be a loose connection on the control circuit board, either at the low voltage transformer, the rectifiers, or the power supply resistors, for instance.

Assuming power is getting to the circuit board uninterrupted, there may be bad connections on the low voltage transformer or the rectifier diodes.

This group of resistors is on the edge opposite the keypad. They are underrated and overheat, which can result in intermittent connections.

When I repair these boards, I replace these with higher rated resistors and repair all the bad or suspect connections.

Below that group of resistors are three black diodes. Those are the rectifiers. The fourth rectifier is to the upper left of the upper left corner of the low voltage transformer.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =