Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stucco: to remove or cover up??

My new house has stucco EVERYWHERE. I'd like to remove it, or even better, just skim coat plaster over top of it. The stucco is painted with a gloss paint though, Will this cause any adhesion problems with another layer of plaster?
    I'm a new homeowner and this is my first project I'd like to do but, I"m really at a loss for any knowledge of stucco.
    Any tips are appreciated.

best,
    Shannon

Is this inside or out? Outside = leave alone! Inside = replace with drywall but is $$$ also if new house may void warranty.

Comment

Thanks for your response.
      It's inside. I'm curious why you're suggesting drywall as opposed to skim-coating over-top with plaster. This is what most people are telling me to do. I'm open to whatever is best, but I'd like to know your reasoning.
      Is it because the stucco is painted with a semi/gloss paint? Will plaster not adhere to it?]
      Thanks again!
      Shannon

Comment

We tried to apply your skim-coat method on my friends ceiling & QUICKLY SAID 'H3LL NO'. I did the dropped ceiling in the hall 3x & was still not smooth enough to look like a '1/2 a$$ training job'. I'm guessing that you are referring to 'plaster' as the joint compound (aka drywall mud) and the stucco as the rough texture on the walls. The interior walls a done with a plaster type material that is extremely hard to work with when remodeling. I just reread your original post and what is your reason for wanting to remove/cover the original walls? This also sounds like it is your first time experience with drywall mud. I would suggest that if you replace/cover your walls that you start in the garage-bedrooms (rooms that guests don't see much of) till you get the nak of appling mud. Drywall is very tricky and you can screw yourself very quickly. You may even get the feeling of "WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF" I say use these rooms in case you screw-up, not everybody sees it when they visit (unlike my hall wall with waves).

Comment

I too have a stucco problem. The old owner turned a covered patio into a den or dining area by walling it in with a HUGE sliding glass door 15ft wide and 9ft high. I plan on replacing that big door with some windows and french doors. Meanwhile, what the heck do I do about the stucco. It hurts if you ever scuff yourself on the wall. Plus it looks like the outside of the house and doesnt belong. How do I remove it or wall over it? It is so hard to break away its like cement. Thoughts anyone?

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews
          \"I can do anything I put my mind to!\" Robin Mathews

Comment

I've also got stucco inside the house. It's on the ceiling. It's very hard and the texture is very sharp. I want to smooth it out so I can have a smooth, flat ceiling. If covering it with drywall is the only solution, how do you install drywall over an uneven, rough surface like stucco?

Comment

I've also got stucco inside the house. It's on the ceiling. It's very hard and the texture is very sharp. I want to smooth it out so I can have a smooth, flat ceiling. If covering it with drywall is the only solution, how do you install drywall over an uneven, rough surface like stucco?

Comment

Somebody please write something? HELP![8)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by robinmm01

I too have a stucco problem. The old owner turned a covered patio into a den or dining area by walling it in with a HUGE sliding glass door 15ft wide and 9ft high. I plan on replacing that big door with some windows and french doors. Meanwhile, what the heck do I do about the stucco. It hurts if you ever scuff yourself on the wall. Plus it looks like the outside of the house and doesnt belong. How do I remove it or wall over it? It is so hard to break away its like cement. Thoughts anyone?

YOu could try a wainscotting on the bottom of the wall. It would look good with some nice chair rail.

Comment

I know other people have this problem. I have yet to recieve the best advice. Guess I will buy a concrete drill bit and slap on some framing 2 x 4s and rewall to cover up the stucco. Seems easier than trying to tear down the concrete and chicken wire or re-mudding.

anyone else please help?![B)]

Comment

I know other people have this problem. I have yet to recieve the best advice. Guess I will buy a concrete drill bit and slap on some framing 2 x 4s and rewall to cover up the stucco. Seems easier than trying to tear down the concrete and chicken wire or re-mudding.

Comment

Plaster is interior; stucco is exterior. They are both cementitious, but stucco is stronger. I believe you are talking about plaster of lath or wire. It is usually so irregular that it is not practical to cover it with drywall. It's a big mess, but you are much better off removing the plaster. Break it out with a 5-pound hammer. You'll see that it goes quickly. Strip off the wire or lath (wood strips) and then you are ready for drywall. You may also find that there is no insulation, and so now you can easily add it. But before you do all that, think carefully why you want to remove it. It is more soundproof than drywall and looks more solid. If you don't like the surface, scuff it with sandpaper and repaint.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. As I said this is an outside covered patio that they enclosed with one giant sliding glass door. so three walls are exterior stucco. one wall is glass. there is insulation and it is a cement based stucco. Heavy at that. We found 4' x 8' plywood routed (to look like tounge and groove). I have no place to haul the stucco once removed so we have decided to adhere the 4' x 8' with construction adhesive and a few anchored wall screws to secure it. I will loose an inch of wall throughout the room, but at this point I dont care. We will replace the glass sliding door of 100" x 9' with french doors and a 4 x 4 window. If you think this is absurd to consider please indicate. [8)]

Comment

Stucco IS cement - It's a mixture of portland cement and sand with some oatmeal sized aggregate inside the mix. It is applied over a scratch coat of cement over metal lath which is over the wall sheathing which is on top of the studding. Remove it?? You'll end up replacing the whole wall - sheathing included. Painted with semi-gloss paint - bad choice from the previous homeowner. You got a glaze that has to be removed or thoroughly scratched. Through expansion and contraction, drywall mud (skimcoat) will crack off it. Drywall over it is the only way to get a smooth wall. Good Luck! Tom

Comment

The question I had was "Is it okay to adhere 4x8' sheets of pre-routered plywood (mimics tounge n groove look) to the exterior stucco walls using construction adhesive and a few anchored wall screws countersunk and plugged?" I dont wish to drywall inbetween because there would be too much build up.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =