Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner mat material

McMaster-Carr has burner mat material. Withstanding temperatures exceeding 2600 degrees.
    Silica sheet goods 1/16" thick, size 40"X40" - 9362K16 - $21.50
    Silica Fabric - A woven fabric - .026 thick, 36" wide - order by the foot 8799K3 $9.54/ft
    Silica fabric - .090 thick, 39" wide, per foot, 8851K33 - $26.56/ft
    BOROSILICATE GLASS - Viewing window material
    1/8" thick, 2" X 1" - 8476K321 - $1.20 each
    1/8" thick, 4" X 1" - 8476L351 - $2.25
    Last edited by HayZee518; 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM. Reason: added glass

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
    McMaster-Carr has burner mat material. Withstanding temperatures exceeding 2600 degrees.
    Silica sheet goods 1/16" thick, size 40"X40" - 9362K16 - $21.50
    Silica Fabric - A woven fabric - .026 thick, 36" wide - order by the foot 8799K3 $9.54/ft
    Silica fabric - .090 thick, 39" wide, per foot, 8851K33 - $26.56/ft
    BOROSILICATE GLASS - Viewing window material
    1/8" thick, 2" X 1" - 8476K321 - $1.20 each
    1/8" thick, 4" X 1" - 8476L351 - $2.25
    Which of these mat materials would be correct or best to use for the 422? Do you have contact information for McMaster-Carr. Just bought a new burner pot with mat, but thought I'd buy some mat material for future use.

Comment

.026 seems about correct. The one mpi sells is about that thickness but they charge out of this world!
      Mcmaster's site is: Www dot mcmaster dot com

Comment

I had been using 8838k41 which I believe was recommended before that I got from McMaster Carr

Comment

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Do you know what's available for gasket material? I see McMaster-Carr has gasket material, but I need to know what temperature rating and thickness I'd need.
          Last edited by FordMan59; 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

The "POT" rarely gets to 600 degrees but I suppose anything's possible. I'll look in to McMaster and will get back with a stock number.

Comment

The "POT" rarely gets to 600 degrees but I suppose anything's possible. I'll look in to McMaster and will get back with a stock number.
              You need to change your user name to "The Monitor Man". Are you planning a trip to KY during the early spring? HINT I'd buy you a case of your favorite 12oz. beverage for helping me get this thing fixed, whether it's Coca-Cola or Budweiser. Personally I'm a Coke man, too much alcohol in my younger years destroyed too many brain cells. At least I like to think that's the reason I'm like I am today. LOL I was just thinking maybe the gaskets could be made much cheaper than buying them directly from Monitor and I could keep mat and gasket material around for emergencies.
              Last edited by FordMan59; 12-23-2011, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I was in Lowe's tonight and saw an 8 oz. tub of Imperial Stove and Fireplace Cement and Mortar and was wondering if anyone had ever used it on their Monitor. It says it's heat resistant to 2100* F and was only $5.38 per 8 oz. tub. I found it in the plumbing and heating area of the store. Thought someone might want to give it a try. I bought a tub to have around just in case I'd need it, but figure it'll be several years before I actually put any into service since I just ordered a complete burner kit and the burn mat is already glued onto it. The instructions for use say it's for wood burners, firebrick, mortar joints, cracks, flues, gaskets and firebrick relining. Also says allow 4 hours dry time. They also had a 2.7 oz tube of Imperial High Temperature Cement for $4.97 which said it was good for consistent temperatures of 500* F and a maximum of 600* F so I decided to get the higher heat rating. I was going to get the Rutland 77 Cement since others have said it works good, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot had it.
                Last edited by FordMan59; 12-24-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Ya don't need the stuff! Rutland #77 is as close as you'll get to the monitor cement for the burner mat. Aubuchon hardware has the stuff.
                  I got a tub of that cement [tub] for my coal stove for filling in between my firebrick. The gasket material for the monitor doesn't need any cement of any shape or color.
                  "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Comment

Ya don't need the stuff! Rutland #77 is as close as you'll get to the monitor cement for the burner mat. Aubuchon hardware has the stuff.
                    I got a tub of that cement [tub] for my coal stove for filling in between my firebrick. The gasket material for the monitor doesn't need any cement of any shape or color.
                    "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
                    Couldn't this be used for gluing the burner mats in place and shouldn't I put some around the screws when I do the rebuild to hold them in place and prevent them from possibly backing out due to vibration? I was planning after putting in the new burner pot, cleaning up the old one and putting a new burner mat on it for future use using some of the material available at McMaster-Carr. If you think the Rutland Cement would be the better choice I'll return this and order some of the Rutland.

Comment

the screws won't vibrate out, believe me! actually they get welded in somewhat. I have a 2400 about 2 1/2 years old that I wanted to clean off the viewer window, but all the phillips screws did was round themselves out! I ended up using a dremel with abrasive cut-off wheels and cut a slot in the heads.

Comment

so has anyone been using 8838K41 for burn mat material from McMaster-Carr? Its been working great for me but will now switch to 8799K3 as
                        your now recommending.

Rutland 77 works better than the ceramic glue from Monitor!

Await your answer on burn mat material.

Thanks
                        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by msearcher View Post
                          so has anyone been using 8838K41 for burn mat material from McMaster-Carr? Its been working great for me but will now switch to 8799K3 as
                          your now recommending.

Rutland 77 works better than the ceramic glue from Monitor!

Await your answer on burn mat material.

Thanks
                          Tom
                          How often have you been having to change the burn mat using the McMaster-Carr material? Every year, 2 years, 3 years or longer?

Comment

the acrillic coated is stiffer, the other stuff is thinner but resists 2300 degree temperatures. it is a toss up which material you want to use. check out the specs at mcmaster-carr and YOU decide.

Comment

I have ordered the 8799k3 material and have received it and will switch over. Never had any problems so far using the other material.

Thanks

Anyone know where I can get the top panel for a M21 or 22 heater?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =