Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip Fence Died for my craftsman 10" table saw

When I get stumped I come here.

For some reason the rip fence on my table saw is broken. The very end i guess wan't in the channel and when I closed it down some year it cracked the houseing.

model#137.218300

The rip fence for this model is #10KB

You can't make a straight cut without a fence and using 2x4 and clamps is so primative and I can bu a new one for $60+ S/H from sears.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Table Saw's Rip Fence Assembly

Units: About 41,800

Manufacturer of Rip Fence: Rexon Industrial Corp. Ltd., of East Windsor, Conn.

Distributor/Retailer: Sears Roebuck and Co., of Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Hazard: The rip fence – a metal guide that keeps material being sawed from shifting side to side as it passes through the cutting blade – can come loose. This could result in kickback of the material being sawed and possible injury to the operator.

Incidents/Injuries: Rexon on behalf of Sears has received 230 reports of the rip fence bracket coming loose. No injuries were reported.

Description: The rip fence on these saws is made of silver extruded aluminum, is 31inches in length, and has an over-locking handle with a black die-cast aluminum head. They were included with Craftsman table saw model number 137.21830.

Sold at: Sears stores nationwide from August 2002 through November 2004. The cost of complete table saw is about $399, and the cost of the rip fence is about $40.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: The firm will provide free replacement parts with instructions to consumers.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the Sears Craftsman Helpline at (800) 843-1682 between 8:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Comment

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Table Saw's Rip Fence Assembly

Units: About 41,800

Manufacturer of Rip Fence: Rexon Industrial Corp. Ltd., of East Windsor, Conn.

Distributor/Retailer: Sears Roebuck and Co., of Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Hazard: The rip fence – a metal guide that keeps material being sawed from shifting side to side as it passes through the cutting blade – can come loose. This could result in kickback of the material being sawed and possible injury to the operator.

Incidents/Injuries: Rexon on behalf of Sears has received 230 reports of the rip fence bracket coming loose. No injuries were reported.

Description: The rip fence on these saws is made of silver extruded aluminum, is 31inches in length, and has an over-locking handle with a black die-cast aluminum head. They were included with Craftsman table saw model number 137.21830.

Sold at: Sears stores nationwide from August 2002 through November 2004. The cost of complete table saw is about $399, and the cost of the rip fence is about $40.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: The firm will provide free replacement parts with instructions to consumers.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the Sears Craftsman Helpline at (800) 843-1682 between 8:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Comment

I just called the toll free number and they are sending me the fix...She knew exactly what I was talking about though I don't know if it will prevent me from getting a new rip fence.

Rip fences are pretty saw specific eh?

Comment

just like everything else companies are cutting corners to make a marketable product at a cheaper price [to them] and selling at a higher price for a profit. dewalt uses the same motor on its contractor grade tablesaw and chop saw. take a look at the different prices for each. sears used to make a circular saw with a die cast white metal housing. now about the only thing you'll find "of metal" is the retractable saw guard. plastic parts make up the motor housing and if a bearing seizes up, it'll spin in the housing, melt the plastic and render the saw useless. oh sure there is a rubber bushing that's supposed to hold the bearing in the housing but it melts too!

Comment

Just when I completely discounted the fix in the mail from CRAFTSMAN I get a package yesterday from the company. To my complete astonishment, the EXACT part that failed on my fence and that i had ZERO luck locating with out buying an entire new fence was in the package.

I still cannot believe my luck and I cannot thank you enough HAZEEEEE for your diligence on this board!!!!

Happy Thursday

Comment

just like everything else companies are cutting corners to make a marketable product at a cheaper price [to them] and selling at a higher price for a profit. dewalt uses the same motor on its contractor grade tablesaw and chop saw. take a look at the different prices for each. sears used to make a circular saw with a die cast white metal housing. now about the only thing you'll find "of metal" is the retractable saw guard. plastic parts make up the motor housing and if a bearing seizes up, it'll spin in the housing, melt the plastic and render the saw useless. oh sure there is a rubber bushing that's supposed to hold the bearing in the housing but it melts too!
              I just built a bird feeder and noticed that material ripped was not square. Actually the other guide for angled wood cutting is a little sloppy in the rail-whadayado-since all this is made in high China?

I have the Craftsman 10" 4.4 Job Site Table saw as in the OP with the new re-built fence from the recall. The fence seems to be 1//8" off closer to me and I can't tell if it is an issue with the installment of the piece they sent me . I was wondering if any else had this issue.

Would anyone have an after market solution?

Any Ideas!!!

vincent

Comment

bumpbumpbump

Comment

At this late date, because of the *&^%*&^%$ recall my saw has never been the same and I can't really reach a real person at craftsman anymore....The fence is off and in turn adds to aggravation in my finished products...so now today I have had it and am looking for a #10KB craftsman replacement rip fence assembly...for a 137.218300...what a POS of a recall....
                  Originally posted by vdotmatrix View Post
                  WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Comment

the site {ereplacementparts dot com} can get a replacement rip fence complete but I don't know if its an updated one for around 80 bucks
                    My tablesaw is from grizzly imports and sometimes I have to tweak the adjustment from time to time, but most of the time its right on. try ereplacements.
                    I called sears parts direct and wasquoted a new fence complete for $68 and some change.
                    Last edited by HayZee518; 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

the site {ereplacementparts dot com} can get a replacement rip fence complete but I don't know if its an updated one for around 80 bucks
                      My tablesaw is from grizzly imports and sometimes I have to tweak the adjustment from time to time, but most of the time its right on. try ereplacements.
                      I went to the Sears SVC, and since it was their recall I am hoping the can install the piece correctly because I certainly failed at doing so...Hopefull they can do it at no charge ( doubtful )...at sears direct parts they can send it to the Sears SVC for $68. free shipping if this thing fails to get adjusted.....

Thanks for the info of the recall in the first place and thanks for all the help you give others here!!

V.

Comment

I bet.

I went to the Sear/craftsman forum and sent a note. The customer servicefolk contacted me inmmediately. Because this was part of a recall, I get to send my fence in to the SVC and it will be fixed FOC!!!

3-4 years later I think everything will turn out swell....!!
                        Originally posted by littenhope
                        sorry for your loss

Comment

They tweaked the fence but it is still off and requires lotsa back and foirth to make an accurate rip. I think I will have to break down and buy a new craftsman fence for about $80....worked fine before the recall kit...any one suggest an after market fence for this daw,,,it is a decent saw: 137.218300

Comment

I never had much luck in any rip fence that locked by a knob or lever "at one end!" If the rip fence travelled along two parallel tubes or pipes fastened to the saw table on opposite sides, I'd put more credence on it being true. But I always check before making a cut. OK the table is fixed, it cannot move. However the rip fence is movable side to side. at the far end is a clamp that hooks to the underside of the table, the near end has a similar looking clamp that locks up when a lever is pressed down. It also actuates a rod travelling the length of the fence to the opposite clamp. these are the variables - both clamps can bend away from the table and let the rip fence move. the saw you have, made by sears or a sub-contractor for sears gaurantees quality at the time of manufacture. It cannot guarantee the accuracy after being used. my only suggestion is to buy a more quality piece of equipment if its accuracy you're after. sears lacks in quality for the home handyman who occasionally uses the power tool. a contractor's saw might be a better bet, but not by sears. I'd go with grizzly imports first before going to any american made appliance. their table is cast iron, not cast white metal or aluminum. the rip fence is steel. the motor is separate from the saw arbor, not one piece, uses v belts.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =