Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to repair pushed in wall socket outlet

I have a electrical wall socket (with 2 plugs receptacles) pushed in about 1/2 inch into the socket holder. The screws holding the socket is pushed in. How can I repair the socket holder so that it is flash with the wall?

Thank you.

The outlet is mounted in a box is the box loose? If it is loose it will need to be secured ore the outlet will keep moving. If it is not loose you should be able to get a 1/2 inch mud ring extension to mount the outlet flush with the wall.

Comment

Like "he" said make sure the box is secure in the wall. You can also use a type of sleeve made by IDEAL that is called crimp splice sleeve. These are usually used to splice wires with a crimp tool but they will work as a spacer between the yoke and box.

Comment

thank you for your advises and replies.

The junction box inside the dry wall is securely mounted on a post.

I understand your instruction is to raise the screw mount of the wall plug receptacle to outwardly near the wall surface.

Can you please tell me what are "mud ring" and "crimp splice sleeves"? Can I buy these at local Lowe or Home Depot?

Thank you again.

Comment

Pushed in receptacle

A mud ring will only fit a 4 inch square junction box. what you have is a standard wall case - a mud ring would not work in your case. I explained what a crimp splice sleeve is and if you look below there is a picture of it. it is made by the IDEAL company and I'm sure HD or Lowes has them.

Comment

Lowes and HD and electrical supply houses also sell little green spacers that you put behind the outlet/switch screws to hold it out and stable.
            Last edited by pushkins; 12-30-2011, 08:03 AM.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

thank you. Assume these crimp splice sleeve are metal? Will try it. I probably need to hunt for match length screw sets too.

Comment

the outlet fastening screw have a 6-32 thread. they make them up to 2 inches in length. you'll need flat head screws.

Comment

thank you and happy new year

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =